Combines Balancing the Cylinder

gaffer

Dusty;Balancing the cylinder_rotor is important after adding anything. The hardest thing to setting up for static balancing is getting a stub shaft for the coupler end of the rotor.I've got some old literature for balacing the cylinder_rotor in the combine I'd be happy to fax to you, email me a fax n. sunny@istar.ca

Dan

Dusty, We have an old cylinder coupling welded solid to an old output shaft with ball bearing pressed onto the end and then trued up 100% at a machine shop. We bolt that stub shaft in place of currant coupling and support with blocks to get cylinder off of floor than the other side of cylinder can be supported off of floor with the currant bearing plate. There are many machine shops that will spin balance rotors but I have great luck static balancing. If cylinder was smooth before you changed bars and there is no rock damage or excess wear and you replaced opposite bars with similiar weight you will be very close to in balance. We have changed up the end of rotor on many and if cylinder was in desent condition we rarely had to add any weights. Do spin cylinder up to max speed well before harvest to see you can only hear the increase in speed not feel the increase in speed. Changing any heads or backup bars would certainly require a balance job. Good luck. Dan

tbran

Dan_Tom: We have used a strobe balancer from local tire shop. A gizmo used to balance trailer tires. Simply disconnect all drives except cylinder, place sensor unit under frame and rev her up to the max. (proir to this paint each cyl. bar end a different color through inspection plate on lh side. Its difficult to paint at 1200 rpm!) Stobe will point out heavy side (the way ours works) so go to opposite side of lighted color and add weight; half on rh half on lh. After a few tries it will be smooth as a Clinton pass at a intern. You are correct though about seldom needing precision balancing. Even static balancing in the combine is fine most of the time. Just go by seat of the pants feel when you rev her up. This idea of strobe balancer is cheap. We just buy a few truck tires and he is happy to loan us the strobe. Finally we have found that my mother- in- laws fruit cake works best for balance weight. It is heavier than lead, indestructable, and keeps all rodents about a mile away. I have several yearssupply if you need any. Only problem due to hazardous material laws you will have to come get a load. Illegal to ship. Merry Christmas..tbran

Hyper_Harvest_II

Dusty, I'm with Dan on this one.I usually just static balance my customers cylinders.If I am in deep where I am removing all the cylinder bars and stars to shrink the cylinder on the seperator end of older N-series,I usually mark the stars and cylinder bars so they can be reinstalled in the same place.Where we run corn and soybeans,with the mods. we do,cylinder speed rarely gets over 500rpm..Hope this helps,Hyper Harvest II.

Dan

Tim, I can see why brother Tom had no trouble remembering your name from dealer panel. You remind me of the type of guy that every one gathers around to laugh with and learn from. Great to have your wisdom on this page. I'll have to check out that strobe light and that is a good point to add equal weight to both drive end and paddle end. I had been weighting the middle for we didn't know exactly what end was the most out of balance. I just had to mention that although balance is important I didn't want everybody to get all wigged out if they were just switching some bars. Good day. Dan

Rolf_Hedt

Wow!!!! Some of you guy's are being very technical about your rotor balance!! Us Farrrrrmerrrrrs South of the EQUATOR!!!!! just static balance it on the workshop

Kurt

Glad to hear your A_C is working OK. We have been waking up to -14 degrees. We have a nice 4 inches of snow on the wheat so should help to insulate it. Also wanted to thank everyone who puts their imput in, I've learned alot this last 6 months.

tbran

My mother in law is a great asset. Don't make fun of her. In fact she helps us balance all these great Gleaner cyls. We set her up on the side of the grain bin with her legs dangling off and then we crank the thing. If her few extra pounds don't jiggle , its balanced. If she jiggles and starts to bounce down the edge we add a few slices of her fruit cake. If her false teeth come a tumblin' down and she's holdin on for dear life- we go get the strobe balancer....Want to rent her for a few daysIJ My father in law will bring her to you I bet....Merry Christmas...tbran

Sando

With regards to balancing the cylinder I seem to have more trouble keeping the thing balanced once its back in the field. Dust accumulating on the back of the bars seems to take care of my static balancing efforts just however it pleases. the question I have is as most of the competition has a solid cylinder set up, why doesn`t the gleaner.