Combines Auto cyl adj for l3

Tom

Just a word of caution: If the 3_4 nuts that hold the cylinder mounts to the feeder house are not tight, the upward pressure from the cylinder bill beat the daylights out of the cylinder mounts. Its been several years since I played with an idea like yours so the exact details arent 100% clear. If you dont follow my explanation, I can look in a parts list to figure out which parts egged out. In the late 70s I had a plain l that had a worm-gear adjustment on the lH side that also was connected to the RH side with a small roller chain. I seem to recall using a ratchet to raise and lower the cylinder. That was a slick and quick method. On later 2 and 3 series rigs, I installed cranks, one on each side, but I understand K and M doesnt offer them today. Good luck and I hope you can make it work. Tom Russell

tbran

You have a tiger by the tail on this one. Heed Toms advice on tightening hardware! I can tell you about 645 ideas that won't work. If there were a simple h.d. update it would have been done. Problem with servo or any device is leverage. Archimedes once said "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I will have a cylinder rocking wrench that JD and Case will pay a fortune for." No wait a minute, maybe that was "I will move the world" anyway I digress. You are trying to lift a heavy cyl. with only a short lever. The only way I have seen this done is to use the servo type apparatus to set a STOPPING point and then use small hyd. cyls. to lift the threshing cyl. to the stops. Used reel lift cyls. were used. A special made T handle wrench was then used to tighten the 2 clamping bolts and beater chain ( when so equipped. There is a special nut the same size as clamping nuts to go on idler block.Thus only 1 wrench needed. If belt driven-no problem) . This is a lot of engineering for a little help but it's up to you. By my observation customer did this with a switch on the side of the cab. This meant the engine was running which gives me SAFETY nightmares! What ever you do- be safe! I have seen other makes of concave adjustments adapted to machines in junk yards but none impressed me.(JD and other adjusters are a some what of a high maintainance item as witnessed by observation of welding and rigging in these areas.) Finally , I too would be interested in any tehnology in this area , all help appreciated. Happy New Year...tbran

Tom

If your objective is to speed concave adjustment, here are a couple of ideas that may help: