Combines 78 l2

GaryD

If I'm wrong I bet I'll hear about it but that's O.K. I really enjoy this site and this is my first attempt at a post. On changing the cleaning shoe, first remove the grain pan under the walkers, 2 guys, 30 minutes. Next take out the chaffer and sieve, those rascals have some iron in their frames. One guy 10 minutes. Next undo cleaning shoe hangars and lift it out. 2 guys 20 minutes. Probably time to replace all the rubber bushings in grain pan and shoe. Gleaner is really getting proud of those things. Anyone know of a more economical_better solution to them. Replace in reverse order, tighten everything concerning the rubber bushings up in the mid-stroke position of the grain pan and cleaning shoe. It always takes me at least twice as long to replace as remove anything so my estimate is 3-4 hrs total. Before anyone comments on how slow I am, I'll just say I like to take time to enjoy my work, as long as it's in the shed and not in the middle of a field. I wonder if you really need the long shoe unless your short shoe is busted up or someone just wants to give you a long one. If the thresher is doing a good job maybe you don't need the long one. I hope someone will have some thoughts on that. Have seen the hill side blowers but haven't used one, sure a Rube Goldberg looking contraption but maybe they are O.K. Not very much wheat planted in my part of S.E. Ks. due to very wet fall, but what little I've seen looks decent.

tbran

Billy Cruse with AC service did a lot of work on slope loss on Glnrs. 1. Air flow grain savers DO work. lots of work retrofitting the whole thing though. 2. long shoe helps but where do you get themIJ Snatch em up if you find em. New ones with only 1 std chaffer cost you 2 big ones plus.(l) 3. Speed up thresher btr. as much as possible and raise metal curtain over sep. raddle. Keeps air going straight back as well as material. (this is for corn_soy not wheat speeds)4.Hillside raddles were only marginally effective. Here is real problem. Take a few coins in your left had and drop into your right; now do it again only pretend coins are grain coming off raddle_walker pan and your rh is the shoe fo' the combine; now tilt you rh over to simulate a 10 degree slope. Didn't catch any coins huhIJ Problem isn't grain sliding or sifting to the down hill side as much as it is gravity pulls it straight down in free fall. On slopes most of the grain falls onto the downhill 50% of the shoe front.( This is one reason why the accelerator rolls are in the n's r's.- to overcome pull of gravity.) Putting risers on the walker pan help "catch " the grain and slide it to the front as best they can. (71178093) Walker front extentions on the outside two walkers (71319728) can catch grain and throw it back about a foot to where one can fabricate a metal 45 degree "Flapper" under the walker which will throw the grain somewhat to the center of the grain pan. This helped a little. (So a little here and a little there will add up.) 5. Chaffler levelers are also somewhat effective and have pre drilled knock out plugs for easy installation on late models. There used to be a set of these levelers for the raddle also but I can't remember the nos. We always made ours anyway. 6. Finally you can use the Deere plan (Yup- every body has slope loss problems) and modify the last 8 rows of the chaffer blades on the out sides to open up the openings to about double. Simply put a pair of strong hands to work and bend away. This will dump grain that would have gone on the ground back to tailings.(it will also somewhat alter your air flow too so be cautious) Dumping clean grain in excessive amounts back through tailings will crack more and can plug your tailings. This reminds me of a mother in law joke- but she is now high tech and surfin' the net (ain' a pretty sight trust me) so just smile :) and make up your on joke. Hope this helps on conventional slope loss. For those of you who remember Billy Cruse he is Benoit Ms. -BEBCO , an irrigation engine shop and does custom harvesting, rice-soys. Good ole Boy yes sir ree....tbran

clipper

wheat wacker, i don't know if it is economical to retrofit such an old machine. you could try to reduce your air and slow ground speed