Combines l2 3 s

GaryD

Marshall, I believe that curtain is all there is, to prevent any stray kernels that might fly off the separator(rear) beater from going right over the end of the walkers into the spreader or chopper. The separator beater should drive everthing down onto the walkers but I suspect that some grain will carry part way around and then be thrown back, that's where the curtain comes in , stopping those stray kernels and letting the law of gravity take over, dropping those kernels down on the walkers and a chance to shake thru to the grain pan. If you've removed the separator(rear) beater like I have on my MII and the metal flap over the rear raddle as well it is even more important I believe. It's not real easy to get at, need a door on top like JD, but well worth the effort. Any tarp shop can probably make you a new one quite reasonably although I haven't checked Gleaner's price on that item. My parts book is at the shop or I would give you a part n.

Tom

Amen to everything Gary D said about the shoe. He is considerably faster than I am. A hillside blower works very well. My hills are nowhere near terraces but the belt broke on mine and the Pacer monitor needle immediately went into the red. Thats an indication of how much corn was going over the shoe. Hillside raddles are probably more effective and cheaper. Tom Russell

Marshall

Thanks for the advice. That makes alot of since. Why did you remove your rear beaterIJIJIJ

GaryD

Marshall, I have mostly used my MII on corn and a little on soybeans. I was getting way too many cobs husks, etc. on the cleaning shoe and since I didn't have the rods that cut down the opening size in the walkers, I took Ray Steuckle's suggestion and put hardware cloth under the walker grates. His book suggested 3_4" square but all I could come up with was 1_2" and I wired them in from underneath so there would be the lip of the grate to grab and throw. His book suggested wiring them on top but maybe that was a misprint. Anyway it didn't seem to have much effect on the amount of stuff getting on the shoe. It did keep the cobs with husks attached from hanging up in the walker grates however. I then took another suggestion from Mr.Steuckels book and removed the rear beater and also removed the metal curtain over the rear raddle. I put a piece of about 1 1_2" PVC pipe over the shaft (suggested by one of the A.C. tech guys) to keep anything from wrapping on the shaft. You have to put the beater shaft back in in order for the chain that drives shoe, walkers, and straw spreader to make its journey. If you look at the way the rear beater is positioned you will notice that it has about as much chance of driving material down past the front end of the walker as it does of throwing it back. That change did make a big improvement. I left the shaft in until I had a chance to harvest soybeans and it worked O.K. but did manage to snag some tough bean stalks once and tested the slip clutch on the walkers. I have since welded in a bracket just ahead of where the beater shaft went through, put an idler on it to carry aforementioned chain and totally removed the shaft. Intended to make some metal blanks to bolt in where the bearing flanges were but the duct tape has been working fine for 2 seasons. I don't know if that setup will work for wheat or milo but the way I have mine now I can easily re-install the rear beater. I haven't seen one but was told by a dealer that there were some F's and G's shipped from the factory without the rear beater. Anyway, I think you can see with my setup the canvas curtain in the back becomes even more important.

Marshall

Sounds like the modification has worked well for you. I harvest wheat, milo and beans. No corn with this machine. It does a great job in wheat and milo. It is slower in beans (platform header) but still does a great job with putting the crop in the bin. I am going to harvest some of my beans with a row crop header this year. Hope to pickup some speed. I can only run around 2.5 to 3mph in 40bu beans sometimes slower. I have made some modifications to the machine this winter and with the row header should get the speed up some. In wheat (70bu) and milo (4500lb) the machine will average 5mph. I am happy with that. This will be my third season with this machine. local farmer sold it to me (for pennies) when he bought a new JD9600. I really like the l_M Gleaners. Easy to work on if needed and I can get any bearing at local Co-op.