Combines Gleaner CII

Tom

Hi Mike Nobody has taken a stab at your question so I will try. My first combine in 1980 was a well-worn out CII that had been stored outside for several years. After replacing bearings and chains on a daily basis, I decided winter was coming and I traded it back to the dealer for a new M2. I liked the M2 so much I bought a new l2 to go with it. The economics of farming were different in 1980. We didnt have to contend with Clinton_Gores 73 grain embargoes like we have today. Crop prices were good and machinery didnt cost an arm and a leg. If you have a lot of acres, why dont you consider a custom operatorIJ That is what I did before my custom guy retired and frankly it was a lot cheaper than owning my own machine. Good luck Tom

tbran

gas 2350 high idle and 21-2200 rated load . this is a 262ci ac - gas i assume. diesel had rated load of 2000 rpm 2200 hi idle don't go no mo revs on either.... won't help and..... uh , well it would help your local parts supplier on second thought.... :)

John_W

My book(The Grain Harvesters) says 1964 to 1967 for the C-II.

tbran

yes, go to local dealer and ask to see tech publications booklet and order for your sn range. By cyl. gears I assume you mean sprockets for changing cyl speed. Yup most sizes are available. Fix 'er up good cause next year old estes will be willing to trade a 9600 for the old gal!!!!!

Mike

tbran: Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I haven't been around, don't know what a 9600 is. Dad said that the CII is a big step up from when he used to "shock" corn and husk it using hand huskers, which amounted to a glove with a sharp blade that would cut the husk and make it easier to remove. We just bought this last fall from a retired farmer my Dad knew. It was shed kept and is in excellent condition. The farmer hadn't used it in such a long while that he couldn't remember much about it. last he used it was for corn, so I put the four row head on and ran some corn through it last fall. Did a pretty good job, although we haven't ran through the calibration yet. My barley will be ready soon and I plan on using the small grain head to harvest it. I have a number of additional screens, gears and miscellaneous parts for it. Any other help comments would be appreciated, especially if anyone out there ran one.

Curt

I ran a CII ever since I was old enough to farm. We put a D19 engine on it which gave it alot more horsepower when you tried to force feed it. I can't say it was a bad machine but I remember being cold alot of the time in the cab, and we had trouble with the rattle chain sliping because a corn cob got under the chain. If you had to open that door under the feederhouse before you know it's very dirty. We retired ours because last year the engine through a rod. Even as old as it was it still looked pretty good because it was kept inside. We probably would still be using it except that we got an old M that was pretty much beat up and combined 45 acres of corn with it without stopping once. That is what started to change our minds about the CII. Thats what we had left to get out of the field after the engine quit on the CII. After that we started to way out our options and we decided to scrap the M and the CII get an M2, we used the M for parts and now we got a M2 that has all the options and alot less moving parts. I still haven't got to do any combineing with it yet but the only thing I'm worried about is hauling the grain away fast enough.

Mike

Thanks Curt for the information, I will keep mine until something major goes wrong. We have a local farm equipment junk yard that have about six or so CIIs, all of the engines have been taken, so they must also work on other models. Mike

Mike

I've been away for a week. I have a gas 6 cylinder engine in mine. Am at work, so I don't have the book. Mike

John

Mike, the C2 has a 262 gas or Diesel engine on them.The gas does like it too. Very good machine for their day and still for the small farmer with a 4rw and 13ft grain head. They are just a hair larger than an F series and smaller than the G's and M's. I liked mine, but the gas bill was killing me and I found an F diesel. The C2 made me a Gleaner man and I still own a Gleaner 25+ yrs later!