Combines 1680 questions for SDman or others

Farmer_Ed

I have a 1660, and I believe that the transmissions are very similar, if not the same. I went through it from top to bottom and yes, the shifting seals can be replaced easily. Make sure you wash the area off good first, then use a sharp hook tool (I used a dentists tool) and pull the old one off (make sure it is all out) and then slide the new one on. I lubricated it with grease first. Haven't had a drop since. (knock on wood). Not sure about your knocking sound. Check bushings maybeIJ The oil thing, I know the caterpillar engines have something similar to a pvc thing and you would have to replace that once in a while, I'm not sure about the cummings though. Good luck.

SDkid

The transmission shift rail seals will come out easily if you just screw a couple of small sheet metal screws into the seal and pull out with a pair of pliers etc. I would look at the sieves to make shure that they are moving back and forth in a paralell motion (no twist). If the sieves twist, the bushings need to be reshimmed. On the oil consumption I would do an air induction test on the intake system to make sure the engine hasn't been dusted to cause some blow by.

Marv_ECIa

Part two. I forgot to ask about getting the spreader to spread wider. Any tips on thisIJ Thanks and thanks for the seal removal tips!!! It sure makes life easier when you don't have to figure every thing out by your self!!

Jamer

You may want to look closely at the shaker bushings themselves, as it may be time to replace them. If you have to pull the arms to replace the bushings, make sure to check the front chaffer support rails for cracks and check or replace the needle bearings too. Especially if your machine is equipped with the long sieves. The knocking can be caused by a worn bushing or needle bearing, and I've also seen the holes for the dogs in the shaker slip clutch egg shaped which can cause a banging noise too. If you pull your sieves, don't forget to inspect the rails of the sieves ClOSElY for cracks. Usually near the corners. Also, one more tip that guys forget is when tightening down the shaker arms after installing new bushings, rotate the cleaning system to the center of its travel before tightening the bolts. Hope I didn't bore you with my long-winded answer.

SDman

Marv, you've got some good help already. As far as the shifter shaft seals, the only thing zi might have to say is you may have to do it again down the road. Case did not chrome those shifter shafts till the later 1666_88 Series. What happens most of the time is those shafts develop rust and pit the shafts which, in turn, tear up the seals. Make sure you clean up the shafts as best you can.