Combines Dirty sample in soybeans

BOB

First of all tighten up your concaves run them as tight as you can and not spliting the beans. Then increase the rotor speed have even combined soybeans on the high speed, again as long as you are not splitting the beans If you are still having trouble you can put a small wire concave in the first concave. Hope this helps BOB.

ratman

I agree with Bob, but here are a few more things to check. Have you zeroed your concaves latelyIJ You may be tightening down the concaves all the way, but aren't actually getting them that tight, due to wear on the rasp bars. Have you inspected your sieves lately - especially your shoe sieveIJ you may have a hole in it, or a couple of slats torn out of it, which are going to put pods in the tank no mater what you adjust. check the rubber side flaps, and etc. What shoe sieve are you usingIJ A wheat sieve may be the answer. hope this helps....

combineman

The sieves are all right.We have had the shoe almost shut all the way tryung to run them back though and did not seen to help.The shoe we are running is a spiked shoe like teeth fingers about 1 and a 1_2 long. I suppose it is a corn and soybean sieve. I dont know the difference.We run another combine right beside it with a standard rotor and dont have this problem.

tj

Your standard rotor has a constant sweeping effect with a slope on the leading side of the rotor bars which forces material against the concave crossbars which retard the flow, giving thresh. Your specialty rotor has short rotor bars with spaces between them which allow the material to pile up near the rotor skin and this stuff can't get to the concave for retardation. This material will carry thru sometimes from front to back in this manner. Easiest solution to your problem is to install Gorden rotor bars for sweeping against the concave. they bridge the gaps between the specialty mounts. Another alternative, of course is to install a standard rotor -- this would require more HP than your specialty rotor. We have been modifying rotors for a completely different style bar for about 3 years which has the sweeping action and about the same HP requirement as the specialty rotor. Also doesnt tear trash up as badly, removing some shoe loading. I'd be glad to pass on more info.

Jack

I read Bob's idea about using a small wire concave to get a better thresh on beans; this works if you have a second set of concaves. I did install a small wire concave for beans

ratman

lets attack this problem in the rotor area first, then fine tune with the sieves. Trying to tune the pod problem out with sieve adjustments is the wrong way to adjust an axial-flow. one of the big no-no's with an axial-flow is running a lot of tailings - they are dumped back in on the back of the third concave, an are real hard to get seperated back out, which results in rotor loss. this is why you must attack this problem with rotor and concave adjustments. Some things I would like to know for sure- Specialty rotor or std, and if a spec rotor, do you have any straight bars in it, and if so, how many setsIJ (straight bars come in sets of 3 on a 40-60 combine) 1) I'm assuming you have a spec. rotor in the combine. Where are your transport vanes setIJ I would suggest making sure they are in the "slow" position over the concaves, and in the "mid" position over the grates. 2) Get your rotor to 700 rpm, and set your concaves to n2 position. (after you have Zeroed the concaves and reset the indicator - without doing this - the indicator is worthless). Also, when zeroing the concaves, the rotor should be hitting the concaves at the 7th bar on the concave, from the right side of the combine. if not - you need to adjust the concave hanger bar on the right side. also remember that you can adjust the concave zero from front to back as well, with an adjusting turnbuckle on the concave adjusing bar. Also - do you have any bent bars on the concavesIJ you should open the door on the right side of the combine, just in front of the tailings auger head to see this area. 3) run the combine - are you getting any whole pods, or are you getting cracked beansIJ if whole pods, close concaves a bit, try again. if getting cracks, slow the rotor 50 rpm, and try again. From your description of your shoe sieve, I would be guessing that you have a 1-5_8 Cloz slat shoe sieve. this is great for corn and beans the majority of the time, but a small grain (1-1_8") shoe will work better, especially with small beans. let me know what you find.. thanks rob