Combines R50 and rocks

T__langan

Your R50 has a rock door that works pretty much the same as your M2 did. You won't get quite as dirty closing the 50's rock door, but it ain't an easy task either. Put the hose mod on your bean head (as shown on Hyper Mod site) and that will help some to keep rocks from getting through.

Delray

The hose mod is cheap and easy and does a wonderful job stopping stones on the sickle bar before they even get into the head. I just have a length of 2" suction hose and 8 or 10 conduit clamps on a 20 ft. head. Works great!!

dar

good idea is to pick stones with a stone picker Combines do a slow job picking stones

R_O_M

I know this is possibly a silly question as your conditions are so different to our Oz conditions but do any of you guys roll your country after sowing to push the rocks back into the ground and make for smooth harvestingIJ A lot of this is done in South Australia [ state ] where the top soil is only a few inches deep in some agricultural areas with almost solid limestone underneath. So lots of rocks are brought to the surface. In bad areas they use a large steel roller, maybe 5 feet in diameter with all sorts of steel additions to achieve indentations to stop drifting and etc. Cheers!

Kurt

When you say to stop drifting, do you mean to catch the snowIJ THat's what it would mean here in Kansas. :)

R_O_M

Snow I have rarely seen in my life and never where we farm. In our case the we can have very serious soil drift problems over some of our winter cropping cropping areas as the soils, which are often light sandy soils as well as the heavier clay soils,can start to wind drift if we do not get sufficient rain and _ or the surface is rolled flat. In the lentil and pulse cropping areas of the states of Victoria, South Australia and southern New South Wales in south eastern Australia, rollers made from old truck tyres and sometimes steel are used to flatten out the soil immediately after sowing or shortly after emergence. This makes it far better for harvesting and can cut losses at harvesting quite dramatically. It also cuts damage from stones right down to a very low level. Our latitude south where we are in western Victoria is about the same as the latitude in southern Kansas but I have never seen snow fall here. You have the vast Canadian continental areas going up into the Arctic which your winter weather has to cross to bring it down into the USA. We have the warmer waters of the great Southern Ocean which our winter weather has to cross from Antartica and that is the difference. In fact, like most people around here, I have only ever seen small patches of dirty snow a few times in my life and that was up in our local small mountain ranges. For your info we start sowing in mid May, which is the start of our winter. Sowing starts earlier in other cropping areas further north in Australia's grain belt, and we start harvesting around mid to late November in our area. Again harvest will start in mid October up in the north, in the central Queensland grain areas. As one of your countrymen and contributor to this forum who will be in Australia in a week or so, has put it, we all look out of our own back door and assume that what we see is what the rest of the world also looks like! As I can also testify, it really is an eye opener to get off one's own little dung heap and get out and see how the rest of the world lives. There really are some surprises out there! Cheers!

muleman

Good idea to pick rocks but given that we don't have a 26 hour day and if I did pick them all I'd have a hole I couldn't get out of, have to make do. I pray alot while I do beans, think I will try rolling them this year as there are some big rollers around to rent. I'll also put on the hose trick. Old head had SCH guards this one has tiger jaws, try it this year but plan on switching to SCH.

NDDan

I prefer fastening hump to rock door which will make it more reponsive to rock than flat standard equipment rock door and hump will aid feeding. But with hump you may find yourself closing door to often in your conditions. You door may or may not be drilled for hump kit. If not drilled you can do yourself. Next option and best option for numerous rocks is sump kit. With sump kit the door is latched and sealed in a half open position. You must dump and clean at least daily with sump. latest sump kits include lighter door and simple over center linkage to hold door in operating position. I don't like the sumps so well for they can give some problems with feeding. More so with large P3s prior to some degree of steep pitch helicals. Anyway sometimes the sump is best choice. Good luck