Combines 2388 header fault code

jas

Book says air temp manifold sensor. Turn key on (engine does not need to be running) check voltage at female terminal A should be 8 volts. If that checks out then Check sensor resistance terminal a to b should be 12k+- 10% ohms if that checks ok then warm sensor while checking a and b resistance should lower below 1000 ohms Hope this helps

RAB

Thank you very much Jason. I'll check that first thing in the morning.

Unit_2

crucut, had it right. You need to blow out your air to air cooler I think they call it. It is behind the rotary screen there by the radiator. It is designed to let you know that it is gettting dirty and if you don't stop and clean it out after a while it shuts off the header so you have to stop before you over heat the engine and ruin it.

shellman

The purpose of the air to air temperature sensor is to monitor the load on the engine since we do not have either a boost or EGT monitor. As the load increases on the engine the air to air temperature will also increase as a direct result of compression by the turbo compressor wheel, dirven by the turbine wheel, which is now turning faster due to increase exhaust gas velocity due to a corresponding increase in heat from engine load and extra fueling. That being said a side affect is that we are also able to tell when the air to air or air cleaner is plugged due to the increase in temperature. That has nothing to do with the error code. The header controller has detected that the voltage and_or current flow in that particular circuit is not withing range. It therefor sets the code for a short-low resistance, high current, low voltage drop accross sensor; or open-high resistance, no or low current flow, and high voltage drop. What it is looking for will depend on the logic of the programmer of the controller. From my experience, most CASE-IH controllers are looking at voltage drop accross a circuit.

farmerR

Don't overlook just a corroded wiring harness terminal... Had this one before and all that was wrong was a connection beside the motor compartment that had crud in it.. It was caused from power washing the machine. The water and debris created an excellent environment for corrosion..

RAB

I replaced the air temp manifold sensor and the problem is cured. On a side note. This machine has always had power problems. Turning up the fuel and governors seemed to have little effect. On the recommendation of my local CIH mechanic I tightened the anaroid adjustment down a good bit. It now runs like it should have ever since I got it. Maybe I hadn't turned the pump enough to begin with but i was scared to go any further as this was a used machine and seal had already been broken. Thanks for the helpful advice. Russell