Combines 1440 1640

Brodale

The cummins will give you more power for sure. You should probably look for a 92 model to get the longer seives. I had a 92 1640 with a 17.5' and could usually do beans at about 4mph.

kenny

Do you think a 1640 would handle a 20' graintableIJ live in NW Ohio and typically have about 80 bu wheat and 40-50 bushell beans.

Brodale

Of course it will, you just drive a little slower. It might be a bit pokey in wheat but you'll do a better job in beans. You can put a 25' on if you want to. If you're going with a 20' head or bigger you likely want to have tracker on the combine.

Farm_Kid2

Do you ever have to fight mudIJ If so, I would keep the head sized to cut faster. We only run 25' heads on the 80 size machines in wheat, which works better in the mud. less weight on the front wheels and we can hit mud holes at 6+ mph if we have to. Of course, the slower the better in beans, so the bigger head would work better.

Brodale

I'm not suggesting that you run a 25' but you could. The guy who had our 2144 before us had a 25' on it so he could go slower in beans and still keep the combine full. If you were to go with that big of a head you should probably have 30.5 tires on the combine to help carry you through the soft spots. Also a 25' would have to be put on a cart to go down the road. A neighbour has a 22.5' on an 88 just so he can run the roads without taking it off.

Pa__Harvester

I have owned both a 1440 and 1640 in the past. The 1640 is a nice little fuel efficient machine. Whether you would be happy with that or should go to a 60 depends on type of conditions you run. If you are generally in dry straw, level groung, no mud, the 40 will do fine. Hills, mud and damp conditions start using horses and you would benefit from more horsepower. I would look around for a 1644 or 66. You'll get the longer seives and cross flow fan.

kenny

Thanks guys .... a 1640 is coming up on a sale next weekend and just wondered what you all thought. The 1644's_1666's are far and few in between. Just not many in NW Ohio. Although our fields are flat and ususally no mud (last fall was an exception),the tank size on a 60 or 66 would be a big improvementover over the 40 series. Corn in 1_2 mile long fields is always an issue on the smaller tank.