Combines 1688 Vertical unloader flight and tube

jr64

The parts book shows that the upper gearbox has splined shafts on it. I believe that is right, but it's been so long since I worked on one I don't recall. Pull the cover on the horizontal unload and see how the horizontal auger is attached. If there's no pin in that one, the vertical auger is splined also.

nwkansan

Thanks jr64, I got it apart this morning, the vertical auger was just stuck in the splines in bottom gear box.

Brodale

How did you get it apartIJ We just pulled ours and we have the gearbox and auger out but can't get them apart.

Jr64

Use a heat wrench. The seals on the gearbox should be replaced anyway.

Unit_2

I have had several of those that were hard to get apart. What I've found works the best is to fashion a reverse press on top of the vertical auger while it is mounted on the combine and lift it out with a hydraulic jack. if you spread the weight the jack will put on the top of the vertical auger tube all around the top you won't damage the top of the tube. be sure to use anti-seize when you put it back together

Brodale

But ours is already on the ground. And we we don't take the elbow off.

Redhat

Yep! Its hot hammer time Brodale. New vertical assy and lots of anti seize.

Old_Pokey

Brodale, luckily my auger gave no trouble coming apart. So, I cant say that Iv'e tryed this on an unload auger. But, here's an idea, see if you like it or not. Down by the gear box, weld a small piece of flatbar to the auger tube right at the base just far enough away to get a good pry bar between the tube and the gearbox plate. Then have someone pry on it with a bar while you use a zipgun (airhamer) to a different area of the tube with a blunt tip in it. This should rattle the rust loose a bit. You may also wish to weld a small piece of bar where you are going to hammer as well, cause that tube aint all that heavy duty. Just dont weld more than you have to so as not to warp the auger tube. IJIJIJ Is that worth a tryIJ I know that an airhammer has done some amazing stuff for me removing rusted and stuborn tubes and shafts.

nwkansan

When I figured out that it was just splined I used PB Blaster penetrating oil from the top of the auger, just let it run down, used plenty. let it soak in for 2-3 hours and then started from the bottom with pry bar and it finally came loose. There was heavy rust on the splines. Went back together yesterday with lots of anti-seize.