Combines Do you idle down to engage headerIJ

Green_Envy

We fold our augers back all the time. You can be going along and hit a small washout or gopher hole and break the bolt on they hydraulic cylinder that attaches to the auger. This has happened a few times with us. Besides that, people tend to forget that it is out there and run into a power pole. That has also happend before.

Ham

I read on Combine Talk Show way back when it first started, that there were two kinds of combine operators... those that had hit an unfolded auger on something, and those that still were to do it.. I always fold back. Maybe my habit was formed 20 years ago when I had an Allis l2. liked the machine but the auger mounting was weak.

sebas

It depends of the case. Harvesting wheat i always fold back the auger but sometimes in corn i don't do it. About engage the header... yeah i always do it at iddle speed.

jhoag

Never fold back. I watch for it I guess. less folds means less wear. They are held the same either way. The old 4420 and older machines have to stay out and I got into the habit with them. As for idle speed, yes, yes. Clutches last longer.

guru

we always idle start up and the auger always goes back it is a method we tell all our operaters auger is safe when in...and we have never had a mishap with it yet so it works for us

bh

We always return the auger to keep it away from tree and pole encounters. I have been told that if you engage the header without idling down the clutch can throw sparks which can start a fire. We always idle down. It just seems to make sense for a several reasons.

9750_STS

we have a 9750 STS and a 7720 Titan II and a 7721 Titan II (pull type) we farm about 6,000 acres in north east saskatchewan canada. we planted about 2 thou in barley, 2 thou in wheat, 1 thou of canola and 800 acres of Peas and 200 acres of oats(b_c they arnt worth a crap!) but any ways on the sts we put it to mid idle before engaging and on the 7720 (S.P.) we engage the 'machine' at mid throtle and giver full throtle then engage the pick up, just incase there was a little left in the feder house or on the header that some how never got threw the feder house previously. so, we never have had any problems with any of the three machines e-mail me for any more questions glad to help

Deerebines

Guess I'm the odd man out. I always engage the platform after the machine is WOT. Don't want to hear the beeper on the warning lights and they always go off at low idle till you get it speeded up. Never had any trouble on my 6620 and Havn't had a bit of trouble now in 5 years on the 9600. *Shrug*.....never ever thought twice about it till now. As for the auger.....it always goes back. Ye Gawds.......it's a 3 position switch. It doesn't get any easier than that. Not to mention, if you notice on the 9000 series there is a rod welded back there that the bottom of the auger can rest on when it comes back in if I saw correctly the other day..........Not 100% on that but fairly sure.

bkandra

We have always engaged at wide open. 1991 9600 and have never had problems. I also AlWAYS lay the auger back. We farm a couple of fields with electric poles and several with tree rows. I still always take a peak at the auger when I see those poles, even if I'm not close, just out of habit from the old 6600. Also, even with wheat, we cut most everything back and forth, and turning left with possible trees or poles, you want it in.

Peanut

Ok here is my two cents. I always idle down. would you hold your pick-up throtle at 2000 rpm and drop her into gearIJ Just doesn't sound like a good idea to slam the separtor into gear. Also I have to farm with deep furrows so I have to fold back the auger, to rough!