Combines Rear Axles Breaking

Big_Al

Yes this is a common problem on most models. The 23 series was suppose to be beefed up but I had mine break on a 2003 model. Crawl under and check if there are any cracks. Mine have broke in the tube I have never had an axle extension break I am not sure if this is what you are calling the axle. I do know of one axle extension that has broke but it was not on any of my machines.

willbur

I have seen them break around the center tube on the rear axle.

Sartori

Hello Thanks for the info, yes it happened on my friends 2388 yesterday. They also had it happen on their 1688 also. And yes it breaks right around that pivot shaft. Sure wonder why Case_IH hasn't done anything to help that problem.

redman

We broke one a year ago. We built a new one out of heavier metal instead of spending the $$$$and waiting for 3 days to get one. Our dealer out here on the west coast doesn't want to stock parts and the problem with case ih not following up on their problem areas is huge out here. I'm looking at 2 new combines and they will NOT be red.

Sartori

Yes, they didn't replace them with new ones. Just welded it back up and then welded 1_2 plate on both sides around the pivot area. I also think they need to make sure and keep that pivot shaft greased regularly also.....

Rotor_Man

The question should be"are there any of the light duty AF rear axles that have not brokenIJ" Case IH has not seen fit to fix a problem that has been around as long as the Axialflow combine, and the fix is so easy on an unbroken axle. all you need to do is weld on a little steel strap to reinforce the area under the center pipe. Had the 28 year old axle break under my 78 1480. I got a wide rear axle from the salvage yard to better clear the chaff spreader, and yes, it got the little reinforcing strap added before installing it.

Pist

Hey Rotorman could you explain more about welding the strap. Exactly where does it goIJ Do you have any photosIJ

boog

I've owned AF combines since 1982 and never have broken an axle. However, we have broken 2 spindles on our 2388. For some reason CIH deemed fit to put the std spindles and hubs on our combine's HD axle. :~((

hooter

I have had 6 red combines and have cracked a couple of axles. The easy fix to prevent a problem is to weld a peice of 1"x2" 2 1_2 feet long under the main pivot. I have all mine done now before they move from the shop. Never had any trouble even with my old 1680 at 6000 hrs.

peterbill

Good luck to REDMAN on his threat to switch to another brand combine. I operate a farm service fabrication and welding repair service and have welded up as many green and other red machine rear axles as I have CIH. Good luck.