Combines Mud Tire and Track Options

riceman

With no mud hog I'd go with single 900 rice and canes. Goodyear makes one that will fit on a 30.5 rim thats about the same size or maybe bigger than a 35.5. Duals will just choke up if they don't have anything helping to push them forward. On the back I'd put something in the 18.4 size and tall as you can stand. We had a tractor that we used to stubble roll rice fields in a foot of standing water, with R1 Firstones on the rear and 18.4x30's on the front. Most of the time you could run in 2 wheel drive and the front tires just kept on rolling cause they were so tall. Having said that, no one could give me a combine that didn't have a mud hog on the back. Absolutely worthless to have not have one.

CORNKING

Nobody likes mudding but when it does not stop raining you have no choice! I have been there done that. On the 2188 a option that will work I have done this go with 20.8-42 and make sure they are spaced wide at least 18 inches good fit is spaced for like 38 inch rows, 30 inch row spacing does not work then get in to the pump and give it 2turns on the fuel, you want the combine to not run out of power in 2nd gear wheels keep churning. If you had a mud hog behind you will not ever get stuck with this setup.For the 8010 go with 800 metrics wide spaced and duals if you had a rear asist on the back have 600 metrics back there with the 2speed and run 2nd gear in the combine and the 2 speed.I now have this setup on my 8010s with 18 row corn heads and hoppers full of corn it does not matter how deep the water gets or mud gets we have never been stuck since we went this way it will go where my 530 quads can not they have tryed to follow with empty cart and gotten stuck. This will work good even with out assist but you will find you are driving more with the brakes than just letting it dig thru straight I some times forget to put assist on. A lot of my neigbors that have 2188s and 23s have did the 20.8s like I mention above and do not have rear asist they seen how ours would go thru. At least 4 neigbors that I can think of. But remember they have to be spaced wide they can not ever fill up with mud. And I think now around here at least 6 other farmers have set up the 8010s this way except they do not have asist like we have. I would never go with 20.8s on 70 or 8010s the tire rating is not enough for combine and header let alone now we will fill the tank. I actually got mine from Wold tire in Iowa I dont know where they are located salesman lives in north centrol MN.

Unit5

Thank you for quick response. Yeah I'm really wishing we had a mud hog. I like the idea of the 18.4R30 on the back axel. The only concern with the 35 inch single is I'm not gaining a larger foot print. Maybe the rice tire needs to sink a little to get a good biteIJ Thank You. Brian

Unit5

I just got off the phone with Wold rim and wheel in St Ansgar. He said take the 20.8R42 off the 8010 and put them on the 2188. He is looking at getting a spacer for the factory duals. I'm wondering about if we need a 20.8 rice tire. Dad was wondering about the ladder for the clearance and what kind of extensions. We have turned the pump up one turn years ago so another turn will be better. On the 8010 Wold tire said a 800R38 R-1W is the tire to use. Did you have to change axel extensionsIJ Thank you for the response. Brian

farmert

giving advise again I see wished I bought last year we are wet wet wet TS

riceman

Yeah they'll dig down but keep going. 35.5 is a much bigger tire than the 30.5. Taller, wider and just plain better. Putting a taller tire on the rear with the bigger single on the front just works. 28l26 is the smallest tire I'd have on the rear with a mudhog and without a mudhog you want something that will roll easy. Put a 18.4X30 on the ground and roll it. It rolls pretty easy but a 28l26 is a struggle to push. Same thing happens on the back of a combine. Your front tire is toting most of the weight and has already dug down to the hard dirt and all you need is something to roll easily in the rear. I run a 9790 Massey with 710X38 duals up front and 67X25 Firestone R1's on the rear. I've got enough floatation to stay on top and if I fall through the rears with the mudhog keep me going.

CORNKING

About the ladder we drilled another hole in the 23s to turn the ladder 45% to the front and I dont think I would put the rice tires on I think your tires off the 8010 will work, you dont really want to spin down so deep you just want to keep churning thru and the Wold set up has different extentions with them and they will be tied together front of extention and also on the back with 2 big rods. Farmer Tony came up and looked at the tires last year sounds like he wishs he would have got them last year they dont seem to get any cheaper my plans are when I trade combines I will keep these and put them on new machines I really like how stable it makes the combine

redhat

Had good results taking the 20.8x42 off and installing 650R42 Michelin duals, used the same rims. 600's on the back with 4wd package, 8010 would go where buggy tractor couldn't.

Unit5

Well, I'd like to thank you for all the information. looks like we will be picking up our larger rims at Wold Rim the next day or so. Sounds like they are getting swamped with orders. I'm hoping that after we get the tires on, we will have clear skies. If this is what it takes to make it stop raining. Anyway thank you very much for the replies!!!! Brian