Combines Would you try thisIJ

oldie

yes, have 1460 with 20 ft head, wish we had 25 ft most of time.Unlevel or rolling ground would be nice to have tracker.

Varment

Can't see why it wouldn't work . Thinking of going to 25 ft my self on my 1666 . Currently running 22.5 . Would sure be nice not to have to sit off the back rest ! Slow down a little ( even a half mph ) and relax a little . Only thing will be having to cart header instead of just driving with it on . Tracker likely would be a must . Had one on my 20 ft and now on my 22.5 . Would not think of going with out one . Joe

robmgrig

I had a 22.5' on my 1660 and bought a 20'. liked the 22.5' better in milo and wheat. I like the 20' much better in beans. Just remeber that a 25' will pull in bigger slugs than a smaller header and will more likely choke your combine up (especially in green stem beans). But if it feeds smoothly or has a full fingered auger I would say that it would be better. I t wouldn't wear the operator out near as much by going slower

canuck

Interesting poll. I have 25 and want to go back to 20. Most fields I can get a round on but not a second so spend more time unloading. In small fields hooking_unhooking takes longer than its worth. Big heads are good in big fields with a grain buggy.

dannyboy

I thought same at one time. But, if I can run over 4 mph with the 20' it cuts and feeds better. There's times I only cut 15' or 17.5' for that reason.

jello

I have a JD 930 flex on a 2366 and find no trouble with capacity or power. I do NOT have a field tracker and get along a.o.k. The 208" auger should be a bit longer though. I sometimes wonder if the pump may be tweaked a bit. It does use a pile more fuel than the 1660 it replaced. I would never willingly use a smaller head unless you are on the road alot. Hooking from a header wagon goes quick anyway. J.O

lal_cenIA

I had a 1660. It had the Cummins motor. I ran a 25' w_o a fld traker. I enjoyed it more than the 20'. My fields were rolling and had water ways in them. Just cut along side them and you will be OK. I liked the idea of driving slower and do a nicer job of cutting. More things are problems in the mind than in the operation.

44mac

I have a 22.5 1020 on a'98 2344 with the pump (fuel) turned up 1_2 of a turn and it has no problem in any kind of beans up to 4 mph in a smooth field.I usually average about 3.2 as in rougher fields the head and combine won't react fast enough.I am also one that believes in get a bigger header and goe slower theory as going slower lets the heads perform properly and slower is easier on the whole machine.It would handle a 25' in beans or when cutting wheat just for the grain. The only time it starts to lug down is when a farmer(customer) wants all the straw I can get,so I have to slow down to 2 mph depending on how tall or thick the wheat is.Running the head locked up in manual(tracker and flex) in uneven fields,not to mention the odd stone,getting all the wheat straw requires a slow speed anyway. My 2344 turned up 1_2 turn is probably close to your cummins equiped 1660 but not more so ya I know it would work.Go for it! P.S. You will also use less Gal_acre which is important considering where the price of diesel will go! It makes me wonder about some people that run 6-rows+20'heads on 77-88 an even later year 66 series machines if they have a oil well in the back forty!

44mac

I have a 22.5 1020 on a'98 2344 with the pump (fuel) turned up 1_2 of a turn and it has no problem in any kind of beans up to 4 mph in a smooth field.I usually average about 3.2 as in rougher fields the head and combine won't react fast enough.I am also one that believes in get a bigger header and goe slower theory as going slower lets the heads perform properly and slower is easier on the whole machine.It would handle a 25' in beans or when cutting wheat just for the grain. The only time it starts to lug down is when a farmer(customer) wants all the straw I can get,so I have to slow down to 2 mph depending on how tall or thick the wheat is.Running the head locked up in manual(tracker and flex) in uneven fields,not to mention the odd stone,getting all the wheat straw requires a slow speed anyway. My 2344 turned up 1_2 turn is probably close to your cummins equiped 1660 but not more so ya I know it would work.Go for it! P.S. You will also use less Gal_acre which is important considering where the price of diesel will go! It makes me wonder about some people that run 6-rows+20'heads on 77-88 an even later year 66 series machines if they have a oil well in the back forty!

JWK

Thanks to everyone for the info on this..... to be continued this harvest season. Jack