Combines illinois gleaner

GreaTOne_65

Glad to hear you made it home in one piece! I'm sorry your not going to have to make the trip again!!lOl!! We didn't have much time to get aquainted. The sale was like most sales, some things were worth the money, some were done right cheap! I'm glad you made the trip, I hope you weren't to disappointed about the price on the sprayerIJ Thanks for making the trip, it is always a treat to meet fellow farmers. The support of you and your friends was greatly appreicated!! Dale wdale@tvli.net

Combine_Wizard

I don't know where he is, either. I seem to remember him saying something about using his kid's computer when he visited. It was terrible some trolls over there had to make some personal attacks--to both of us, really, and neither of us ever started anything or attacked anyone. I just wanted to post some humor along with the rest and was really run-down for it. I also miss another party who called himself "Harvester" but was not the same Harvester on this forum. I used to actually talk to him, but he's moved or changed numbers. I hope he's still alive. I sure stayed out of the political frays on another page. No way to win arguments over there, so just stay out of the big mess. What always irked me about the whole darn "ag forum" was that it was anything BUT ag, period! You are always welcome to e-mail me, if you want. I'd like to discuss some old Gleaner issues, but not here, either. Old Gleaners apparently have no sanctuary here and that's too bad. Why botherIJ My e-mail is: sun_dog63[at]yahoo.com.

Silver_Shoes

Combines, its not that the older gleaners dont have sanctuary here. Modern farmer technologies have definately propelled farmers into a new level. Walmart isnt getting smaller and the American farmer isnt either. Alot of things in modern agriculture has changed and thats just the way it is. The rotor gleaners have allowed farmers to get over more acres faster and produce a cleaner sample and much better grain quality at the same time. The conventionals did a good job of what they were designed to do and they wont be forgotten quickly, but they just dont have the capacity for the future of harvesting. With corn being 1.30 we just have to get more bushels per farmer to pay the bills, in turn it means we have to get over more acres faster. Yes I hate to have to admit it, because all it does is drives our neighbors further apart and it gets lonelier out here all the time. You see farm sales and you know whats taking place, some small farmer is selling out and has rented his ground to a larger farmer which in turn is only getting larger. The small farmer isnt getting smaller, he is getting pushed out. (sadly) The older combines have the same sentence. Sometimes I drive by a farm and see an antique plow being used for yard decorations, I wonder if someday there will be farms so big that they display a gleaner G as a yard decoration. I guess it would be a tribute to the old machines, but they wouldnt even look right sitting there doing nothing but enduring the weather. I know they fulfil a heritage but I would rather see every state with a combine museum with old machines you could climb around on and jump in and out of pulling levers. Seeing young farmers saying to their dads, "I cant see how you could ever get anything done with these little machines." Having picture of them harvesting and scripts you could read and learn about the old machines would be interesting to the young farmers of the future, believe it or not they would probably learn alot from the past by reading things like that. I am 37 and I feel young and dumb compared to my dad and uncles yet today. But I promise you I can jump into the biggest machine with all those electronics and figure it out pretty quickly. I would probably be lost on the gadgets of the past. Someday young farmers wont even realize at one time you had to get out and adjust a concave or the chaffer manually, just like I think it was the old A's you had to reach outside the cab through a lil rubber squeeze door to grab a level to do something. like I said, I am 37 and I dont even know what that lever was but I do remember seeing it on a combine. Wouldnt it be neat if that combine was in a museum and a person seen that lever and could then read on a script somewhere what it was used forIJ I have had this idea for along time, it would just take alot of time and money to do something like that, and trying to find combines you could actually restore well enough would be another difficult task. Im sorry your discouraged about the path of these old machines, but someday I will be discourage that the machines I use now will just be a figment of my past. Father time is cruel on everything, he hasnt alot of mercy. It is long and winded no doubt, but I hope someone gets something out of this rant.

Combine_Wizard

And...hence the ORIGINAl TOPIC which was the discussion on History Channel's forum started by a friend of mine a few days ago.

Gleamer

IG, I remember when you traded for an A85 model which seems like a couple years ago now. Do you think the Super 77 can competeIJ If not, would it be so close in capacity that you would give up a bit of capacity to get back to a model that seems to be so proven, easy to set and work onIJ Haven't seen you post in a while, just wondering how you feel about the axial. TIA Gleamer

Illinois_Gleaner

I would like to run the super 7 beside an A85 and compare them. I dont see how it could stay with the 85 in corn. It has the same sieve as a 76. And sieve area is usually the limiting factor in corn. If its alot cheaper then a class 8 and will run with a class 8 ,I think they have something here. But if they price it high,as a class 8 ,what is the advantage of it over a 7IJ The 85 has alot of capacity, The super 7 would have to be about 50% bigger then a R75 to compete with the 85 in my opinion. I have run the 85 3 full seasons so far and am very happy with it. IG

Gleamer

You make some good comparisons there and could see where it would be hard to go backwards. I guess in a way I was hoping for you to say you thought they would be comparable by some chance as I run a little 52 and hope that technology will continue. looks like either way Gleaner has couple options to compete with Green and Red in corn and beans and could be ahead some in the wheat fields. Good luck to you. Gleamer

T__langan

A more fair comparison would be the S77 VS the A75_6. Both would be a class VII where as the A85_6 are class VIII. As time has progressed, each class seems to have increased in capacity. I think the Super series was needed to keep the transverse rotaries competitive with other machines on the market in those classes. The Super series have larger clean grain augers in them to take corn away from the shoe faster. Perhaps they found that the old, smaller augers were not getting corn away fast enough and were loading the shoe up, causing loss. From what I have been able to gather, the Super series should have around 30% or so more capacity than the R's in the same class.