Combines R60 questions

NDDan

like Brian suggested there are two different R60s. '90 and '91 have the P3 and maybe even some special builds before that. Newer or older can be hyperized to out due stock machine. Dramatically in some crops and conditions. I don't know about Safflower. You'll have to clue us in on some of the caracterisics of that crop. Maybe check with nearest dealer to see what problem a R60 with P3 or P1 may have with that crop and we can go from there. Otherwise a machine with that many hours could be in just about any condition. Anyway I like the R60s (hyperized) for they are one smooth running compact machine if tuned up. Good luck

tbeck

Dan, thanks for the input. Question for you: do you feel 28xx hours is excessive for a machine such as this, specifically the Duetz engineIJ Obvioulsy, the bars, concaves and helicals would need looking over, as well as the accellerator rolls. What about the feeder chainIJ I hope to run into this fellow tomorrow night at a basketball game (the social highlight of the winter evenings!). As far as safflower, it is a thistle-like oilseed plant. Bushy in appearance, long season (first to seed in mid-late April in NE MT, last to cut in September). Test weight of seed varies, but is close to barley (as is size). Sometimes you can have plenty of light or hollow seed, which makes checking performance a pain since the seeds are snow white for most varities! Thanks! Tom

NDDan

Nothing wrong with 2800 hours but I have few in my immediate trade area with that many. Don't have to go very far though and they have 3 times that. I doubt that the R60 would be any different than any other machine with nearly 3000 hours. Some will be in great shape and others need a complete overhaul from end to end. I would have more confidence with the Deutz V8 than any other engine for there would likely be a knock from scored cylinder if it had been severly overheated where a liquid cooled could have fried head gasket or cracked head ect. that would be hard to pick out without running it in field. I would imagine feeder chains have been replaced and if not it is likely time. If you can trust the salesman or previous owner you should know close to what it may take to get in good reliable order. I'm sure if machine has some problem with safflower we can guide you to a fix. I know what you mean about winter evenings and sports for I have two high school girls that keep us running continuously. Good luck

strawwalker

sounds like you are looking at moving up to something else but if you are interested in a good '81 l2 I have one that has only been used as a backup machine for the past 3 or 4 years..always shedded and runs A1..will let it go for very reasonable price...can send pics if you are interested.

Tom_Russell

You can tell most everything you need to know about an R60 by looking at appearance items. If the former owner took care of stuff you can see, he probably took care of hidden stuff. This is the rule of thumb I use for buying all used machinery and it has seldom failed to identify junk I should stay away from. An R60 has similar wear points as your l2steering axle pivots, feeder house pivots, and anywhere inside the machine where crop moves. You can look inside to see condition of the cylinder by removing inspection doors in the engine compartment and grain bin. You will be able to tell if the former did a lot of rock picking with the combine. Check over the engine for oil leaks. They arent expensive to fix but if the previous owner let them go, you could be in for a lot of monkeying around finding them. I have been running an R60 for almost 10 years and wouldnt go back to an l2 if they gave it to me free. Do yourself a favor and get the proper corn head for the R series.

hobbyfarm

Strawwalker where are you located. May be interested in your l2 is it hyro and what engine size and is variable header control.

strawwalker

hobbyfarm...we are located in Ontario...the l2 I was referring to is a belt drive with the small engine (81 model is both turbo and intercooled)..engine is excellent..lots of power and very fuel efficient. we actually have 2 81' l2's the other is a big engine hydro..we will sell either one but we want to keep one of them. They both have variable speed header and automatic header height control...let me know if you would like more information.

Gpurrs

A neighbor of mine had an R60 burn the engine area a couple years ago.I think it went a salvage yard in Sikeston Mo.but Idont know the name of the place.

MT

Your thinking of Worthington Ag Parts, they have several boneyards across the country. They'll have enough parts to build a combine from the ground up. They also have some new and rebuilt parts.

dustyr72

Absolutely without a doubt the newer style cage sweep(rocks front to back) is far superior to the old style sweep(slides across the length of the cage),especially in sawfly resistant spring wheat.Some years depending on the straw the old style sweep would plug up constantly. On our N6 blocking off the cage on the top left near the discharge made it so it almost never plugged but if you have both put the new style one in and save yourself any chance of aggravation.I have put a R72 rotor(P3) in an N6(P1) so you should have no problems there. Good luck!