Combines R60 questions

tbran

The tailings return to cyl is an option on all non-package - inclusive machines.(order one n and get the entire option pkg) Return to cyl tailings is only for seriously hard to thresh crops. Accumulators are usually strapped to the lh axle beam or on lh side of machine. Trace the hose from the lift cyls to the valve and if it has one it will be in that line. Removing rotor is a 30-45 min job with a loader or fork lift (or 8 men and a pick up truck :) ) Cage removal is an all day affair if you are GOOD. Feeder chain - 30 mins max. Hint, hook the old one to the new one and have your MIl turn the belt and wind it in. MIl's are very handy for many jobs if you have a good one. No in all honesty you probably won't get a 30 even spread in all crops. Several attempts involving dual spreader etc. are avail. They will do an acceptable job though. Chaff spreads via a non maintainance spreader board and again is not perfect but about as good as one can get and cost is minimun.

l3

What about an aftermarket chaff speader on these machinesIJ What brands work goodIJ Spreading the staw and chaff is very important in no-till and I too am wondering if I'll ever get an R (especialy with a wider header) to spead as good as our l3 (24') with a chopper and Koen chaff spreader.

farm_boy

rotor removal is pretty simple 2 hours on the 1st one i did 1 hour on the second got smarter on the 2nd. get a forklift. on the cage start early in the morning. look at the 91 r60 a lot of improvements ont he hydraulic system and processor. probalby wont get 30 ft of spread. you might look at the Vittitoe spreader. they work good. feeder chain 45-1hr max. accumulator should be on the left axle on the 1988. hope this helps

Tom

I have an R60 with 525 bean head and spreading width is very good except in a strong crosswind. There are 4 spreader speed settings and I have never tried the fastest 2 speeds yet. Regarding accumulators, I have always had one since the first M2 and I like them. The newer hydraulics are softer but the accumulator removes all hints of jerkiness. The book recommends closing the accumulator valve when using a bean head but I keep mine open for all crops. Tom Russell

Dan

Take a look at top of tailings elevator to see if there is a tube with auger that brings the tailings to front of cage just above the feed chain. If you do not have tailings return to cylinder the tailing goes into rear distribution auger and then only gets recleaned not rethreshed. The auger and trough in front of cage above feed chain is called the overfeed auger. The overfeed auger is in there to catch the material that comes out of the front of cage on the thresher side. If trough under auger is in place it will bring material over and dump it into front distribution auger. If you have tailings return to cylinder and want to retresh tailing you would leave the trough out. If you have tailings return to cylinder and do not want to retresh tailings you would have auger and trough in place. We have that auger and trough out of most of them machines whether they have tailings return to cylinder or not and just let the small amount of overflow to just reenter the feed chain. The '88 has a P1 rotor system and the '91 a P3 system. Both machines treat the tailings basically the same. The R60 has a good dual spreader system and the louvered chaff spreader that uses the high blast of wind that Gleaner uses to spread the material quite well. I have saw many dual spreaders with the two paddle spreader turning backwards (wrong twist in belt). I have also saw many of the two paddle spreaders with the channels flipped the wrong way from the plant. Straw should fall into the channal of spreader and then slip off by the rubber paddles. Two paddle spreader flips the straw out to the left and four paddle flips straw to center and right. Proper direction and assembly of spreader will work very well. Good luck.

Tom_Russell

I have had an R60 since 96 and have been very happy with it. I especially like the Deutz engine because there are no more daily radiator cleanings.

tbeck

What crops are you running throughIJ I would be looking at peas, durum and safflower. We now run a '76 l, but the old girl is getting long in the tooth and has experienced reliability issues. The R60 would be a huge leap in capacity, which is OK as I work for the NRCS and this would just speed things up. Always a good thing when the work doesn't get in the way of the play (although harvest is as good as a vacation to me)! I have noticed that you post here regularly. DO you have any of the hyper mods installed on your R60, and if so, how do you like them and would you recommend them for the crops mentioned above. Thanks! Tom

Tom_Russell

We are in a corn_soy rotation and dont plant the crops you mentioned. My son and I installed all Hyper mods except for the separator grate because we just plain ran out of time. Then my son moved to another state and I kind of lost interest. Friends and neighbors who have installed a separator grate all say it is a good investment of time and very little money. As with any machinery purchase, condition is paramount because you can pour a lot of money into something the previous owner abused or neglected. But you already knew that and probably didnt need a reminder to look it over carefully. Good luck with your purchasing decision and feel free to toss out other questions as they arise.

Brian

Maybe you know this but, there are two versions of the R-60's. The older ones have a P1 processor and the newer models are P3. We have an '87 (hypered) which is a P1 machine. Really like the machine! But from our expereience P3 machines perform better than P1's, especially if no hyper upgrades have been done to either type. I'm in corn and soybean country so can't comment on above crops. Can't see why hyper upgrades wouldn't help but don't know for sure. A visit with the Hurtt's from Hoople, ND may be your best bet on setting up for your crops.