Combines Rotor configuration

Rolf

G'Day silverluv We have ours with every rasp bar extended into the Discharge! Doesn't seem to hurt!! We are looking at next year (season!!!!) at having steep pitched helicals over concave end, overhang shims on all helical s, highly likely Dan's sweeps in two positions in sep section, new high wire concave shimmed out rasp bars closer to the cage (keeps cage much cleaner in Green stuff!!) Were running in our wheat at the moment(not that theres much there!!!) but were taking 40cm of straw at the moment (mulching stubbles!!!) and running along at 7.5-8.5km_hr with current setup. Just wish there was more than 300 kg's_Ha there!! Bring on 05 (with rain) Rolf

NDDan

First and most important get them all extended to discharge (I'm sure you have done that and hope everyone else hear has)(I believe that became a Gleaner option for large P3 in '99 or '00 and standard in I believe '02). I think you'll find a very limited number of guys hear that have extended every other or all bars accross discharge. I think every other gets the job done. I have never extended them all accross discharge. I believe St. John has some extended across discharge weather it is his six or eight bar rotor. Just don't extend the top helical any closer than say 5" from bearing plate and you should be OK. Keep in mind that cylinder bars do very little to move material over without the help of helical. Take a look at top helical when doing your tuning for you may want to weld in a triangle filler piece over chopper opening to provide wider path for material following that top helical. Now if you look at the wear on chopper blades or discharge beater blades on your P3 system you will soon figure out why we are tring to spread material better across the discharge. In fact if you do every other I would be more interested in leaveing the worn discharge paddles to allow the cylinder bars to do the work. Good luck

R_O_M

The engineering mind likes to have everything looking nice and tidy and neat. In the seperator section of the threshing system, we have nice continous helicals around 3_4's of the cage that the cylinder bars can hold wads of material against to be spun smoothly through the cage. We then put in various disrupters, concave bars, cage pegs and etc to break up these wads to get the seed out of them. Why the continous helicals right around the cageIJ Why not have sets of helicals that only continue for about a 1_4 of the cage circumferenceIJ The next set of helicals would be offset or displaced to start midway between the end of the helicals of the first set. The third set of helicals would be similarly offset from the second set. This would contribute to breaking up and dispersing any wads or lumps of material and release seed in these wads as the material is spun through the cage. Has anybody tried this and what were the resultsIJ Cheers.

NDDan

To some extent that is what they do with the short P3s. The standard setup leaves two helicals off on top of seperator side. This would cause some of the material to travel further before making it to the discharge. To do a trick like this to large P3s you would certainly want to use pieces of steep pitch helicals. How about you give it a try and let us know!!! It would certainly look cool. Good luck