Combines Rebuilding grain header

Kevin_Alabama

I have rebuilt several gleaner heads and its fairly simple. I don't know what model head you have but I have rebuilt from a E to a series 300 head. Its easier if you take the auger out. Then measure the lenght and width and have a sheet metal shop to cut it out. Make sure the metal will flex before you have it cut. Roll the metal in the bottom and weld or use steel pop rivits to fasten it. You can leave the old bottom in. But you may have to raise the auger a little. Good luck.

John_W

You can also get slick plastic liners for some header augers from MayWes and probably others.

Almostafarmer

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I will remove the auger and lay the new metal over the old bottom.

Marshall

I install 1_8" thick UHMW poly sheet. I rivet it over the sheet metal. I install in (3) sections. One in the middle overlapped by one on each end. It will cost about $100 for the material. Feeds much better than metal bottom. Best money you can spend on a header.

T3

Where does one find this UHMW poly sheetIJ Do you remove the augerIJ Thanks!!

marshall

I have a local machine shop order it for me cut to size. I have a phone number to order it direct. The number is at the shop. I will try to remember to jot it down and post it. But any machine shop or material supply should be able to get it for you. No I do not remove the auger. I just slide it under and rivet.

T3

I would like the phone number when you get a chance. What does UHMW stand forIJ I would like to know what to call itIJ Thanks again!!

almostafarmer

Marshall, Thanks for the advice. I have heard from others that poly is a good way to reline the header. I too would be interested in ordering the UHMW, I hope you will post the phone number. Also, is there a particular size or type of rivet that you have found is the best to attach the UHMW.

marshall

Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene for applications requiring high abrasion resistance and impact strength. It is know to everyone in the industry as just UHMW. I will get the number posted this weekend. I also use it for my 525 flex header. I don't order it preformed. That is way to expensive. I just order sheets and cut to size with a jig saw and use a heat gun to form the radius. I reshoed my flex last winter for $310. I use 1_4" thick on the flex.