Combines header auger straightening

jake

I am suprised that your quinching technique has not brought on stress cracks from the induced hardness you have forced in the material.

tbran

NOPE, it is the way they do it at the factory. Again balance is very important in smoot operation, check it out.

Gleamer

Remember guys, if the tube is 1_2" out of being straight, you only need to correct or move it 1_4". Am I thinking square hereIJ Thanks

Joeman

tbran, I was just about to accuse you of being the mad genius that you are,but upon reading another post I see this is a factory fix. In any event, I have a slight warble in a 30' 500. Sounds like a good candidate for this exciting new experimental surgery. No, I don't remember when they were black. I do remember when they were orange. At least for the first two days of operation. Primer had not been invented then. They got so shiny you could see yourself, then it rained and they would never quite recover. In other news, I had the opportunity to visit your fair and lovely state not but two days ago. Some observations: lots of rocks, trees and hills. Are they importedIJ Or didn't you get a glacier tooIJ One came through here a few hundred thousand years ago, you must have heard of it, it was in all the papers. It must be real green there when it's warm. I saw almost two thirds of this continent's population of horses and about five cows. There is enough fence around lexington to circumnavigate the globe. That is the fence buildin'est bunch of people that ever was. All I could think of as I took in the wonder of it all was that somebody's gotta paint that... It was my first trip to Kentucky proper, last time was only a quick drive through on my way to Hurricane Mills, Ten. I think maybe the augers were black back then...oh the memories... What an education I got there. Here is a partial list from that trip: I was casually yet forcefully informed that Deere, International, Case and others built pitifully inadequate machinery, and that they would all be out of business soon. Then their brand of foolishness would ne'er be heard of again. Deere was a skillfully disguised empire of evil, with its own shadow government. Across the street was IH, the enforcement arm of the Evil Empire, skillfull in trickery as well, but with designs of being the usurper of power. Deutz was no threat at all. After all, nobody could even pronounce it. All customers that did not already own Allis-Chalmers equipment were suffering from a type of brain fever, were not responsible for their childish actions, and should be informed of same. "Air cooledIJ Are you seriousIJ Everybody knows that'll never work!" Allis-Chalmers was a highly diversified company, impervious to the cyclical ag economy, and that they were in the tractor business for the long haul. Nothing to worry about, boys... With the benefit of hindsight and the maturity that comes with age, I should have been alerted by the speaker's admonition that "there's nothing to worry about boys". I hadn't a clue what he was talking about then. Of course there's nothing to worry about, I thought. I wasn't worried when I came down here, what's this guy's gigIJ I never got the chance to ask that same man, not two years later-when A-C posted the biggest loss ever by any company in Wisconsin-if it was a good time to start worrying. But I reckon not, it's never a good time for that. Besides, life went on,GlEANERS went on,augers turned gray along with some of my hair,and life in these United States is still the best. Joeman

R_O_M

tbran is spot on! First used the technique to straighten a pipe type harrow bar that I hit a fence with when I was in my teens. My Old Man hit the roof when he saw his new harrows and the boomerang bar. Got the idea out of an old book. Nobody could understand why I used weld beads on the outside of the bend until this" wet behind the ears" lad explained it. That all happened about 50 years ago. Used the technique ever since. [ Rolf will probably say ' Now do you understand what I have to put up with! ] Cheers!

Gleaner_Guy

A couple hints: when heating the tube it will raise a rib up. If you tap this back down with a small hammer while still red it will absorb the stretched material. When the metal is heated it expands-you have to compensate for this or you will leave a high spot that will wear out. This helps with hint number two. When quenching, use a rag soaked in water. Rub the rag on the heated area.You can redip the rag and splash water on the heated area, just don't pour a lot of water all at once. This cools the metal slower. The auger will straighten, but will not lead to the stressing of the metal as mentioned in the earlier post. Voice of experience.(Not necessarily all good)

tbran

Ky is the home of Beautiful Horses and Fast Women or something like that... Tn. - Hurricane Mills is 96.2% flint rock. Just outside the little city one can find some of the flattest, most productive bottom ground in the world, unless it is covered by the Duck River. Also can be found some of the finest people in the the U.S. As to AC, again from the horses mouth, David C Scott got to hobnobing with Pres. Jimmy Carter -remember the grain embargo here- during the energy crises. The big wigs inside the beltloop slapped old David C. on the back and ask "with all that high tech company of yours, can you not pull us out of the dependance of foreign oil_" Old David swelled up and went to work. Pulled all the money out of every division to bulid and engineer the coal gasification plant at Mt. Joliet Ill. Just before turning on the switch oil flowed freely and cheaply once again, thus making the coal gasification plant an albatross around the neck of AC, one they never recovered from. The big stockholders sat behind closed doors and decided to divest the company. Most of the companies still exist under new names with new owners. Tractors and combines had some really great engineers, a few survived and are employed at Hesston believe it or not. If the company had had more innovative sales people like Walt Buescher and less naysaying bean counters ... oh well if nuts and butts ......

Joeman

tbran, Yes I remember the grain embargo well. As for coal gasification..here in Illinois I would like to have a nickel for every time I heard "We're building a coal gasification plant over here...oh no, this time we really mean it". I didn't know Allis-Chalmers was a driving force in that technology. I found the people of Ky. and Ten. to be most hospitible and accomodating. What, did I say something to imply otherwiseIJ And every single time one of those sweet little flowers of the south opened her mouth to speak in that lovely lilting voice...I'd think about staying. I could even have developed a taste for sweet tea (with a great deal of effort). But, sadly I would always come home to the corn desert, if I can't see at least several miles in every direction, I get all nervous. Thanks for the story. Good luck to you in your galvanized efforts. Joe

tbran

From: tbran Password: tdb URl Title: Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: header auger straightening Body of message: oh no, you said nothing to imply anything, except that sweet ice tea was not the only way to comsume this product. Three or four full glasses of the stuff at lunch and you are good for the whole day and activities at night. If the good lord had intended for tea to be served hot he would not have invented ice, sugar and lemon chunks! The europeans and asians do hot tea,,,,,,,,, and while I am on the subject, everytime I travel north of the Mason Dixon line you COOK my tomatoes and serve my green beans raw.... that ain't normal folks. This is what will be served in heaven, salted and peppered black eyed peas, cream style corn, mashed potatoes, fried tenderloin, fried okra served with a garden fresh sliced RAW big yellow tomato, a scoop of COOKED green beans and a hot pepper of sorts, and for desert hot pecan pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and four glasses of iced tea followed by a half cup of cajun coffee. I am ready to go now, take me home lord.......mmmm mmmmm ps there will be no casserols or however you spell it up there either

R_O_M

You Americans are really weird the way you prepare and eat your tucker. Not at all like the rest of us in the civilised world! [ We have a saying " Come in spinner" so I'm waiting! ] Cheers!