Combines Plant 12 pick 8 how much extra lossIJ

Gamaman

Tom I had a neighbor do it for a number of years before finally trading for a 16 row planter. Regarding field losses, the two main factors that come to mind are amount of uneven topography and the operator skill levels on both the planter and combine.

Kurt

I once harvested for a guy who had planted 12. I just had an 8 at the time. I cut his 100 acre field and never once could I pick out the skip row. That was before any kind of steering systems. I think if a guy had and RTK system you would see any losses at all, unless going over some big terraces or waterways. Kurt

NowGleaner7

Tom, We picked 6 rows for years behind an 8 row planter. If the guess rows are not guessed(use the marker well) it is no problem but if you have much discrepancy now it will be a problem! Slightly narrow (3 inch) is better then wide. Now we have 8 row head so we can get careless at times :). later Dave

Dr_Allis

Best advice I could give would be shorten or lengthen your markers so that you have to drive with a front tire on the mark. Much better than sitting in the seat and looking down the center of the hood from a seat that might be worn out and sagging to one side!! This is really helpful if you have contours to deal with.

UScutter

I do not know of any studies but from our experience I would say that it would depend on several variables such as, lay of the land, abilty or person planting, number of out croping in fieids just to name a few. We have six,eight and twelve row heads to match our customers planters because losses would be way to high without combine being right on the planter. I do know of regions in some states where harvesters do not have to match up because of flat fields and auto steering tractors letting farmers plant with the inch.

lam

I have harvested 4 years with a 6 row head and planted with an 8 row planter. I haven't noticed a big difference in loss between when I planted with a 6 row planter and know with the 8 row planter. My rows certainly aren't perfectly spaced but I only run into trouble if the rows get less than 15 inches apart, much like you would get into trouble if you cultivated the field. If you adjust your speed when you run into the really bad row spacing you can combine almost any width within reason and your loss will really be in ears tossed over the side of the head unless you run over the row with the dual tire. I put a deflector on the head to push any close row away from the tire and it works quite well, it is mounted on the corn head so i can keep it the right distance from the ear. I was suprised the first year I tried this as I had 60 plus acres that the wind ect had flopped over so you couldn't really tell where you were and had to stop and back up once in a while to see if you were combining 6 rows or maybe 5 or4 rows. The next year I couldn't tell where the good standing corn was in contrast to the down corn. I maybe have been lucky not to have had ears that fall off when the head touches them and this may be the one time you will notice any field loss more with odd rows than with even.

Kevin_Alabama

I,ve been plantin' for a few years now with a 12 row 30 inch allis planter and shelled with a N-830 head. Haven't had any noticeable losses but it does make it easier if the rows are even. Sometimes if the planter is to wide you will leave a row and will have to go back and pick it up.

Tom_Russell

Thanks to everyone. I am surprised by the lack of negative feedback.

posum

I have been planting 5 rows and picking with a 6 row header for about 10 years. If you are good with a planter then you will have no trouble at all.

Gpurrs

One more thing I might add,if the rows are off a little,it helps if your corn head is in good shape.I rebuilt the spiral points last year ,made a big improvement pulling in the off rows.I pull a 6 row with a bridge hitch behind a roterra,and combine 8.