Combines 1680 losing power

Dave

I had a 1644 with a six row that I could go 3 or 4 m.p.h. in 150 bu corn. I would suggest you have pump or engine problems! Best of luck

wally

First thing is check your turbo boost pressure (i.e., intake manifold pressure.) If boost is at maximum specs with the combine loaded at rated RPM, then the engine_fuel system_intake system,etc. is doing it's job. The boost pressure is the key indicator; if it is healthy, it is because all the other engine systems are up to par. It is also possible to take EGT readings on the Navistar engine. If boost is low, then look into the engine. If boost is OK, then you have machine settings or crop condition problems which are eating up your HP (tough green stalks, overthreshing, rotor transition vanes settings.) I wish it were possible to quickly and easily dyno a combine engine, figuring out power problems without direct readings can be tough. But we have learned to trust the boost readings. Hope this helps

Tank

If the engine seems fine I would try closing the concave to around 3 and speeding up the rotor alittle. I would think you should be able to run 4.5 - 5 mph but every once in a while you hit a variety that takes alot of power to shell. Best of luck. Tank

mick

First be sure if you change fuel filters that you change all at the same time, if not you can lose power in just the way you described. It is also possible that the head on the filter assemblyis bad. Have you removed the screen filter in the top of the fuel tank, these often cause problems. Finally after all else fails it is probably the pump. I went through all of these possiblities. One time it turned out to be the filter problem and later it was the pump.