Thread: Plot combine

brad
    If you want a good plot machine, go with the Massey Ferguson 8XP. We run 8 of them company wide and they are pretty reliable. As far as a supplier, the only dealer for them is Kincaid Equipment in Haven, Kansas. They have excellent parts inventory and can ship anything to you next day. If you want an old pull-type converted, Carter Manufacturing can do it. They are in Indianna somewhere near lebanon but I'm unsure which town. My advice to you is to forgo the idea of the converted pull type because we have had them in the past before the Masseys and they were a nightmare to keep running. If I can help you further, feel free to e-mail me. It should be included in my response.

John_W
    Here is the site of the two plot combine manufacturers most used here in Idaho. Both are made in Europe but I think they have a US distributor in Kansas. Maybe they can point you to a source of used machines. First is: www.hege.com and the other is: http:_ _ usa.wintersteiger.com_ seedmech_ plot_combines.htm

John_W
    Go to www.google.com and type in "plot combines" and you will get links to Hege, MF, Winterstieger, Almaco ect. or just about all of the plot combine manufacturers that I know of anyway.

brad
    My company runs Massey 8xp's and Almaco SP-50, and several HP 5's and a PMC 10. All of these are very good machines. If you harvest short row(6-10 ft.) plots the Almacos are good. The masseys are used on 15 ft rows. The Masseys clean out really well and are also used for harvesting increase plots.

Dave
    Brad,

sorehands
    kincaidequipment.com almaco.com

mca
    I think quite a few of the fellows on this site may know where to find a plot combine. Around our area, modified Gleaner K series are used quite successfully as plot combines for both university and corporate agricultural research work. I have even heard some researchers say they much prefer the modified Gleaner to the much more costly alternatives, like the Winterstiger or Almaco plot combines. In most MidWest situations, I would also have to strongly agree with this evaluation. I worked in RandD as an agricultural field scientist. I modified and successfully used both a Gleaner K and E as plot combines. We collected great reliable data with these machines and could transport them easily all over the region with a dually pickup and trailer. Having mainly ran JD combines at home before, I gained a lot of respect for the Gleaner design and reliabilty from this reseach experience. I then took a closer look at Gleaner for my own farm's use, thus we now currently really enjoy using a nice R42 on my home farm.

Red_Painter
    Here's some addresses for plot combine. Have seen the little blue machines and a couple of the Finnish models once carrying the Massey Ferguson brand up in the northwest. http:__www.kincaidseedresearch.com_ http:__www.almaco.com_ http:__www.wintersteiger.com_E_sd_neuprodukte.html

R_O_M
    Depending on the size of plot harvester you want, tbran. As above, the Austrian built " Winterstieger" is one type; http:__www.wintersteiger.com_E_sd_classic.html Another which is probably the most popular amongst research institutions and used extensively in Australia is the german built "Hege"; http:__www.hege.com_en_hege212.html Our guys usually mount a small blower to keep the dust away from the operator plus a sunshade and even a small A_C cooled cab onto the Heges for the extensive plot areas that they have to cover.

posum
    Tim, 'State College' uses K-2 diesels and Almaco machines. My friend is maintance supervisor at the local research farm and tells me they prefer the K-2 because of price,parts,and ease of service. Also says they can buy 1 Almaco or 4 K-2's. Almco is over 200k. You do the math;Used K-2 at 50k. K's have wider cabs to handle computer and scales and other misc. stuff. Some were old Pioneer seed plot machines. No mods to basic machine other than cab stuff. He tells me they were recently quoted 55k give or take for a rebuilt K-2 by local gleaner guy. I don't think that inclued cab mods. Sounds good if you have some K-2'sIJ Also said they worked well in Switch grass seed . Can get names and numbers if you need them. Brooks

oldstruck
    Hi All! Have worked for our university for nearly 20 years. Here is my thoughts. Winterstieger; ok plot machine, very expensive to purchase, the air fan is not powerful enough to get clean samples. Repair is not difficult but not simple. Parts are expensive and you have to wait for them. Note the project I was with in 1988 bought a new one, basic machine, no cab, no automatic sampling system, 4 ft grain head. It was pretty finiky to adjust. $110,000. Recently another project bought one, same basic machine. $178,000 Hege, a bit smaller that the Winterstieger. same issue with the clean grain fan, but easier to work on, about 10-15% less to purchase that the Winterstiegers. Parts seem to be quicker to get here when needed. Repair is not difficult, and some what simpler than Winterstieger. The Hege seemed to have a sweet spot for everything we harvest. You did not have to adjust much. I do know that if you park a Hege behind the R42 and not realize the Hege is there, the Hege loses when the R42 is put in reverse. GFDI!!!! WHO PARKED THAT THERE!!!!! "You scratched my axle!" (reference to CaddyShack) Kincaid, They use NewHolland TR series machines and split the processing system down the center, so the machine can take two plots at one pass. The intake on the head is divided in the center also. Kincaid installs automaitic grain sampling systems and do a real nice job modifying the machine. Figure about twice the money that a used TR-88 off a dealer lot for one of theirs, but you have a real piece of equipment. The down side is you will need a big truck and combine trailer to move it from location to location. Unless you are close by. No personal experience with these, though. Kincaid can and will modify other machines, but thier forte is the TR's. Almeco is one that was not mentioned. The are not a bad little machine. Fairly simple to operate and maintain. The cost is about equal to a Hege, new. Parts are available fairly quickly from Almeco. Not much experience with it, but the projects that have them seem to have few complaints about them. Unlike the Winterstieger. Better clean grain samples. Gleaners, E, F, H, K (2 and 3 series). These are really good. If you can locate a company that can modify these. Then I would suggest this. 1. Inexpensive to purchase in the first place. (get a diesel one) 2. Parts other than the grain sampling systems, are readily available. 3. Usually the modifications to make it a plot combine run under $15,000. 4. Easy to adjust and work on. 5. A cab!!!!! USDA-ARS here has a F2 that has been modified by lindquist Welding in Giltner, NE that seems to be a good plot machine. Down side it is larger that the Winter, Hege, and Almeco to transport. BUT smaller than the NH TR's. It really comes down to what you are wanting to do with a plot combine, are you looking to do scientific analyisisIJ or just picking plots for yield comparison. Winterstieger, Almeco, Hege, make larger plot combines that are the size of the F Gleaner, but the cost is way out there. The farm I have manage for the past few years, does plot work, BUT our plots are full size equipment plots. 6 row 30". Most of the afore mentioned machines do 1,2 or 3 row plots, taken out of normal width planted areas. {I have to go in and clean them up with the R42 when they are done.} Plus the plots are any where from 25 to 75 feet long most of the time. We have some 70 ft plots and 50 ft plots also, on long term studies. Running a full sized machine (R42 6 row 30") I have to make sure I pull in get the processor full, (at about the time I get to the end of the plot) pull out of the plot, do a count of 20 seconds and shut the processor down (or just leave the processor run and throttle back after 20 seconds). Go to scale cart, unload (count 10 seconds after the last grain leaves the tank, then shut off the unloading auger, and then go to the next plot and start over. 28 plots on 2 acres takes about 3 to 4 hours to do. I have to make sure I do each plot the same so our data is as accurate as it can humanly_machine be. That is not to say I dont put in production plots that run the length of some of our fields. We do, but that is for my records to figure out what varieties to consider for the next couple growing seasons. We have 35 "fields" on 245 acres. Ranging from 0.3 acres to 21.7 acres. One 12.3 acre field is split into 7 areas ranging from 0.3 acres to 3.2 acres. We have contoured terraces on hillside to flat bottom ground. We grow corn, soybeans, milo, and wheat, on 3 to 7 year rotations, different fields have different rotations. The FSA office winces when I walk in the door each year. (Its not a simple corn_bean rotation.) I know some of you guys could knock out 240 acres in two days. The fastest we have ever harvested this farm was exactly 2 weeks, 1 Sunday we did not run during that time. I am no expert, but thought I would give you something to consider. I do know of a Hege that could be gotten pretty cheap at our university's next farm sale in 2009! :-) Have a good one!

MostlyGreen
    Massey Ferguson 8XP is an excellent machine. It's small enough to easily tow behind a one ton dually, lots of power PlUS large enough to mount plenty of add-ons (scales, baggers, etc.) Built by Sampo-Rosenlew (same as a 2010). Kincaid Equipment has sold a whack of these machines over the years and have had excellent luck with them. We have several local seed research centers who run this particular combine with great results.

Tim_nj
    It's in Georgia, and it's cheap, but will it ever run againIJIJIJ

Digger
    I know of some K2 Gleaner plot combines that may be coming up for sale. If you're interested to learn more, please reply with a phone number.