Combines looking to upgrade from N5 to R62

T__langan

I'm not sure about this, but I think it was around '96 or so that they went to the high wire concave, long shoe, and wide space rasps on the cyl. bars. Increase in power too, I believe. If I were in the market for a Series II era machine, I'd try my best to find one that year or later if I could afford it. The high wire concave also had the wires spaced further apart and does not require removing every other wire. We had a '93 R52 that we removed every other wire and the holes were almost TOO big - let a lot of cob through onto the shoe, but sure made a big difference in rotor loss.

Silver_Bullet

When I was looking for a '62 I went with a painted '98. I'm not sure what the updates were but that seemend to be the year to get to. I like mine and have had few problems with it.

D_Mayes

I did find where the high wire was introduced in '95 but can not come up with year for hp change with Cummins. All I know is the Cummins started being offered in '94 as an option at 240hp. Then was increased to 260 at some point. Then again increased to 285hp in 2000 which I guess is the electronic engine. My guess is that from 240hp to 260hp only involved some pump calibrations. Could an earlier model be changed out to the high wire, wide spaced concaveIJ

T__langan

I'm thinking the hp increase came with the high wire and long shoe. More power gave more capacity, and the longer shoe was needed - mostly for the 72, I would think. You'd probably be alright increasing the power on a 62 with the short shoe. The short shoe 72 prior to the hp increase must have been enough, so as long as you didn't crank her up higher in hp than the older 72's, you would be ok. We had the pump reworked on our short shoe 52 and when we got her back, she was an animal. The way that machine acted, she had to have been putting out a good 230 hp or better. She wouldn't pull down for anything - and it was a bit of a challenge in high yielding corn to keep from overloading the shoe. Really had to watch the Pacer on that machine! Our current 62 is nice in that respect - she'll pull down before she'll push corn over. You just go until she starts to go to her knees and never really have to worry about shoe loss - unless in high moisture which is always a challenge.

Gleamer

1996 was the year for most of the updates from the early two series, Cummins motors, long shoe, larger main shafts and bearings, separate hydro and motor, longer feederhouse and probably more. Need a 25 foot bean head on her and 6-8 row corn. lateral tilt is a must and very common in 96 and newer. 98 and newer need 800 series platforms if I remember right for lateral tilt machines. 4WD a must in out area, not sure about yours. Cousin had a Duetz, oil cooler line broke and pumped all the oil out, was down for 20 days and 19000 bucks to fix and he did a lot of the work himself(was not the engines fault),Cummins may not be the quality of motor but cheaper to replace or work on and parts and service are plentiful from variety of places, they hold their value, thus you pay more up front... 96 or newer, 98 would be preferred, make sure to match heads to the year_generation of your machine.. Good luck