Combines Silver Seeders

dairyman

Know how you feel Pete! I just upgraded to a l3 from an M2. Got a bean head with it and did some beans for a friend of mine who is a big JD fan. First time in my life I've done beans but he told me I cut closer than the NH CR and had a cleaner sample than the CIH 23xx that he hired to do his other fields. Maybe I was just trying harder than them, but it made me feel good and he gained a lot of respect for Gleaner's capabilities. A-C had some really good dealers in this area and there are still lots of old orange and silver in the fields. It wouldn't have taken much effort on AGCO's part to keep most of these guys as customers, but they (AGCO) just can't seem to figure this marketing stuff out.

PETE

The one thing the red and green companies have going for them is consistency. Even red with it's numerous owners it kept it's core support and focus. Gleaner has suffered from lack of parent company support and focus. I realize that the combine market has changed dramatically since AC's demise and I cannot totally blame Duetz and AGCO, but they seem to have the ability to rescue defeat from the brink of success! JMHO Pete

T__langan

I disagree. The Gleaner brand is the one that seems to have remained untouched for the most part through it all. Yes, Deutz put their motors in them and a green stripe, and now AGCO has gone from Deutz to Cummins to Sisu, but the brand remains. Allis tractors, White tractors - both gone. Color changes on a lot of other equipment, etc - but the Gleaner name still stands and they are still silver. I also give kudos to AGCO for what they have done with the Natural Flow. Reliability is far and above what it was back in the Allis and D-A days. They have made continuous small improvements through the years and the Super Series is proof that they aren't letting them die off just yet. I haven't agreed with everything AGCO has done over the years, but they have done wonders for the Gleaner line. As for the name callers - just ignore them. That green paint seems to mesmerize a lot of farmers. lOl!!

brassring

I too have neighbors who refer to our gleaner as a silver seeder! the problem is with the nice warm dry weather we have had all fall is the red and green fields have a great cover crop! and ours has some but nothing like theirs but they still say ahhh it's not as bad as it looks!! sometimes love is blind.. Bob

D_Mayes

Thats when you say "I hope it's not as bad as it looks because it looks waaaaay worse than my Gleaner fields." lol

PETE

love is blind. I love my silver machine as much as the red and green guys love their color but for a different reason. I have spent many hours with my N6 making it the best it could be. Because of the Gleaner Gurus on this site I released a tiger buried in sheep's clothing. If I still had the original rotor_cage configuration that N6 would have gone down the road a long time ago. Gleaners are built heavy and the whole processor system is compact and simple. The first time I had the rotor out I stood back and looked at the machine ad noticed that most of the machine is hopper, the processor only takes up less that 40% of the machine, simple and to the point! I really should not complain because I can take a machine that no one wants and for very little money make it into a monster that will run with and outperform the high priced spread. Thanks again to Hypers IandII, tbran, NDdan,Tlangan and a host of others who have posted on this site and shared their experiences. BTW, Many of you with Hypered P1's ought to look into putting a Hypered P3 in. With the CDF replacing the P3 I would think P3's would be reasonably priced and the cylinder bars are soooo much more aggressive. It is similar to going from the original bars on a conventional machine to the wide spaced (3_4") bars. Pete Hinrichsen

peteguy

Keep reminding them that it is Silver Saver, not Silver Seeder. My dad runs a small time custom harvesting operation, and he was actually told he did too good of job. we did a field of barley, and the farmer had plans of watering it and feeding some livestock on it, but he watered it three times and nothing came up. suprisingly, green causes you to no longer see kernels on the ground, as my boss is still in denial his 8820 was throwing it over like crazy. I saw corn all over the ground consistently. (PS, his 8820 had 5 percent cracks, dad's R7 had less than one percent on average) Deere is still pretty impressive though. how they can be so successful peddling bad ideas and general crap for as long as they have is beyond me.