Combines wobble box plate

tbran

I feel your pain. I guess n1 be thankful Gleaner does upgrade areas like this. n2 Wobble box plates have been and are a source of problems, for all brands, they have to be strong enuff to hold but light enough to flex and float. Vibrations from cycles are akin to bening a piece of wire back and forth til it breaks. next n What can u do IJ log on to agcopartsbooks.com and watch or look for part n changes and ask your dealer for any upgrades out. Finally there are many field canpaigns that are 'fix as fail' very few from Gleaner as they either determine a problem by % failures and fix it or determine parts sales are within the acceptable level. Sometimes a tough call as one never knows all the details involved in a failure. IF a company fixed everything from every failure you could not afford the product or they would go broke would be my guess.

NDDan

Strange to hear the plate on a 20' can break. Even though that plate had remained unchanged for bunches of years we started seeing some failures. It seemed to be more related to SCH sickles. Seems the SCH pulled heavier. I don't think it took more power to cut but more likely drag on the wear plates. I believe roller guides dramatically reduced this load. Worn out wear plates, dull sickles, and guards on any sickle can cause the same extra drag as the wear plate on SCH. I also believe problems are showing up on proven designs as the crops are getting cut greener. I suspect this is why Gleaner has went to SCH drive boxes and two stabilizer A-arms on the auger flew heads. At any rate this drive area on any brand needs to be examined regular for cracks or loose hardware. Might be able to catch a failure in the works well before it shuts you down when you need it the most.

tbran

after the sch cutterbars wear the roller kit is almost a must . We had a customer who had lots of knife head problems due to a warped back plate due to st ump damage. After the roller kit was installed the 30' unit ran with the bent back. We have taken a Z bar raddle, cut it for a reinforcement and welded it to the tip of the pad on two units which have had no failures since - hope murphs law doesn't pop up here.