Combines setting up input to trans correctly on K2

sidekick

Can't overgrease it but once a day should keep it from harm.I usually just grease my F2 at the start of a day.Did the same for my old A2 for 19 yrs with no problems.8-10 hrs is probably good rule of thumb.I'm sure the book tells but you have to read it first.Are you sure the grease is going where it's supposed toIJMight pump grease in it while apart to see if it comes out of shaft where it's supposed to.My A2 had a o-ring and backup ring in hub to contain grease.Can't remember if on both ends of bore but would make sence.

Kaye2

I grease the snapping rolls and idler pivots daily as well as the var speed hub. Don't know where my trouble is coming from. This machine would have been dirt cheap to maintain had it not been for this one problem, recurring. My next Gleaner will be a hydro then I can keep this one as a backup machine, she's definately earned her keep!

tbran

The K had the same setup, the K2 was too much HP and weight for the shaft long term. We -and I do not remember all the specs off hand - replaced the 6208rs bearings 71118304 with 5208rs double roller brgs. The housings had to be machined for the .25" wider brgs and the spacer tube as well. These DID run for years. Also - and they are not available now, we put the slow down gears in the tranny side under the park brake so one could run 2nd gear mid variable. It cut the top speed from 18 to 14 mph. When you pull up to unload, shift into neutral and take the foot off the clutch as well.

Kaye2

Thanks for the input TBran, pun intended :) Was the setup on an F or F2 heaver to withstand the extra size and weight of those machinesIJ My old boss had an F they ran forever with Variable speed drive trouble once that they recalled, must have been beefed up a tadIJ I will likely keep the K2 but maybe move up to a F or M series with hydro.

tbran

yes the F was a bit heavier setup. F2's had a torque sensing cam operated auto tightener as did M-l's. late Std var drive F3's had a set up almost like the l_M's. There are many 'variables' as one can see. When one goes down it is an 'ah sheave' expression that is uttered. You should be able to 'peg' this issue w_p getting 'torqued' too badly.

Kaye2

Interesting stuff Tbran, very punny also! Got the old girl buttoned up yesterday afternoon and shelled 500+ bushels before rain set in. Am leaning heavily towards replacing the K2 for next year (at least for corn) to lighten it's load and buying an F2or 3, or possibly a 6 row galvanized machine. I would really like a hydro unless the larger variable speed drive machines are more reliableIJ Either way it will be Gleaner for me, I could buy a green 6 row head, or a whole combine a with head, same money, tough choice :)