Combines Just a few more days but don t forget

• Thread starter Tom_in_Michigan
  • Start date

Tom_in_Michigan

We use a leaf blower to clean the bean dust off of the combine and especially out of the engine compartment.

Kaye2

About a week and a half ago a local farmer lost his F2 to fire also, terrible loss for him, he was just getting started from what I heard. Never can be too clean around the engine.

IowaDan

Combining corn yesterday with R42 and a worn seperator belt that I was going to replace on the next rainy day. Belt gave way, so I got out to retrieve the belt and while walking around combine I noticed some wet places on side of machine. Opened engine compartment and fuel was spraying from a fuel line that connects from the fuel filter to the injection pump. A small electric wire laying against it had finally rubbed a small hole in the line. If that belt had not broke, I probably would have kept running until the barbeque started. Now I've decided to get out and walk around the machine every once in a while just to make sure all is o'kay. A friends J.D. 7720 burnt up last week along with a few acres of his corn field. Be careful and stay alert......

oldstruck

Hey Tom, Thanks for the great idea, grabbed our leaf blower at home and took to work. We got done Sunday. The leaf blower (a cheapie) did a better job than the air compressor. I did use the air hose on small tight places. I think we will invest a windier one! I agree, paying attention to the machine makes a huge difference. I nursed 1 bearing through three days of beans (plots mostly),and 3 days of milo to finish. Found part of the shield on the muffler had broken on one stop. Also had one idler pulley go out, but not completely fail (saved the belt!). All of those were due to paying attention and listening to the machine. When something did not sound normal. I would stop and look around and isolate the issue. The easy one, was a bolt for the upper feeder house dampener broke. I heard that imediately running in corn! An old timer, always told me to let the machine sit outside about a half hour, walk around and smell before taking it in the shed at night. If something smells hot you can address it. I also keep a notepad in the cab to write items down that will need attention in the off season cause when harvest is over I might forget. Hope everyone is doing well with harvest.

ROCK

I make notes too of repairs needed and look for problems by walking around machine on low idle before starting the day. If time allows after harvest I put machine away with all heads oiled greased and ready to go. Notes on machine after cleaning to be done ASAP so it is ready by fall as well