Combines Advice on upsize from K2 for next fall

sidekick

From a 88A hobby farmer;Everyone says the rotors outperform the conventionals.I figure the wore out parts(elevators,augers,etc)would be comparable between the two so look for serious dollars to get either in shape for long term dependable use.With that in mind I would rather spend it on a hyperized N series VS l's or M's.Kinda hard to justify a late 90's R series for the dollar return but that just depends on how good a real job you have and how many years you figure to play the farming game."Rock and a hard spot" scenerio.

Russ_SCPA

I made that decission 3 years ago. Went from a long tailed K2 to an R50. One thing I will stress, if you are using a 6-30 planter go with something big enough to push a 6-30 head. I fought planter splits for years. Field losses and operater "annoyance" are simply intolerable.

dairyfarmer

i went and bought my f2 here bought 7 or 8 years ago before that we had a k and put up alot of ear corn since then have switched to all shell corn and narrow rows have fought the splits combineing for 4 years am currently running a 630 head on my f2 it is slow but does work better the splits arent that bad it is only one third of the time you have to fight it i myself am wanting to upgrade to a good l or r sereies with the p3 processor but like baling some straw yet and dont like the straw out of a rotor machine dint know if i helped you much but depends on situation you are in i thik i would spend the extra money to get a rotor especially if you are keeping the k2 dairyfarmer

timothy

Kaye2, I have a 84' N5 with a 6 row 30 corn head and 316 flex head that I'm going to be selling. It is very good condition. Email me if you are interested. located in southeast Ohio. Thanks Tim rasor tim @ yahoo.com (take out the spaces)

dar

I have had them all now have a R65. Buy a l3 15ft grain and 6 row corn and you can work on it yourself great combine

Kaye2

Thanks for the input guys. Russ didn't you post some pics of your K2 on the Redpower boardIJ Seems like you had a 4 row wide head on it rightIJ I think a decent rotary with a 6 row head wouldn't be that hard to come by and would fill my wagons in a jiffy! Again guys I value everyone's opinions, now the hunt begins!

Russ_SCPA

Sure did post up some pics of the K2, and yes it pushed a 4-38 head for years. Also had a late F.

SD_455

I went from a F2 to a 1982 l2. The l2 or a l3 would be my choice. I run an eight row head but wish I could find a good 6-30. With down corn like I had this year the eight row worked good.