Combines Thresher Door

mo_farm

Have you checked to see if you have any door bounceIJ Mine got loose and popped open last fall shelling corn. It tells in the book how to adjust it.

bull_hauler

Your door might be sprung or bent,take it out and lay it on a flat surface, 12 inch channel iron works great to tell if it is straight,if it is bent you can press them straight in a hydralic press and twist it till it lays flat or true to the channel iron. After you get it true adjust to the books spec's if your grain is on the tough side you may have to add more shims and shim it tight.The previous owner of my l3 had run a rock through and bent the door, I pressed mine true again and saved myself $500 I ran mine a whole season after being straightened and had no problems since. Hope this helps you.

tbran

I tend to agree, however take a good look at the rear door, I have seen a few bent _ broke so as they droop down, thus not letting latch area meet.

SD_455

Adding washers on the shaft that holds the spring(s) will make it harder to pop open and also harder to latch.

ag__Teacher

N6. late model, has Deutz-Allis on it instead of Allis-Chalmers. The door pops open but the latch is still latched.

ag__Teacher

N6. late model, has Deutz-Allis on it instead of Allis-Chalmers. The door pops open but the latch is still latched.

kw

I will assume you have the roller latch, if not then someone else will have to chime in. Are you sure you are getting the door up on the concave ledge when shuttingIJ If you are positive this is happening then you are probably due to rebuild your roller latch. Take the rock door out and put in new bolts and rollers, when putting back together your compressed spring length (door closed and latched) should be around 2.7 inches to start with, then tighten in small increments if the door comes open. If you have a late enough owners manual it has a page that talks about this. I really do not know if it is possible for the door to come open without tripping the latch. Unless the striker plate on the concave is worn out or Possibly something on the door letting it go forward and slip past the concave. We have not gotten it latched before and had it come open like you said, but whenever it is up where it belongs and opens the latch is aways tripped. maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in with more help. kirk If that person is tbran, how about giving your take on the latest news from AGCO if you don;t mind. The Good with the rumored R86 or whatever and the Bad with the orange disappearing. If you don't want to say it yet in a public forum I understand.

tbran

you have the answer kw, the latch is slipping past the rear latching surface. Must adjust or repair the worn area where the door has probably been 'bouncing'. As to comments on Agco - ok give me a day or two. There are a lot of wild rumors flying. Just imagine, it was only a few days ago it was reported Agco was to buy Case. Give the dust a day or two to settle and I will put in my 2 cents worth. Thats about all its worth ;-)

Ag__teacher

We didn't have to remove the door. We just opened it and replaced the latch piece that sits on the concavefront when latched. There were two set screws and the hinge pins sloped out. The hinge pins on my N6 were threaded on the end for a bolt to screw in to pull them out. Or problem was that the hinge pins had worn on the end and had worn the holes they fit in, so the latch piece could move and let the does open without tripping the latch. The pins only stuck in the latch about 3_8 inch so I bought the right size hitch pins, cut them off, and made new pins that went in farther.