Combines feederhouse chains

Deadeye

I replaced the front chain in mine but used the old slats (they were good). Checking the price agco cain was cheaper the Schoup price (does not happen often). Since replacing the chain I have had no trouble with jumping. Just make sure you use new bolts the old ones come off hard.

camshaft

I bought loewen 557 chain - compared to Agco price I got the rear chain for free. Surely there can't be that much diference between Agco and loewen chains. I'm putting in new sprockets. Just brought them home today. Any and all tips re: doing this install greatly appreciated.

mo

Have had good luck with the Manchester chain. Make sure to get the heavy chain. Can't remember the number but it has bigger pins wears much better. Sprockets are a judgement call but it would be a shame to accelerate wear on a new chain to save a few pennies by delaying sprocket replacement. Replacing the sprocket,while not a walk in the park, is doable without special tools beyond a gear puller and 10 pound alignment tool. Be absolutely sure that the sprockets are TIMED. It can look ok and not be right. Also locktite sprockets to the shaft and set screws in the sprockets. Use the Arnold Schwartsinager (spIJ)(hereafter know as S+13) locktite. While the shaft is out check that it is not bent. This evidenced by run out, worn sloppy bearings or worn bearing mount areas on the shaft. lol

Tom_Russell

Timed sprockets are probably the most important factor in good chain life. Some aftermarket sprockets are so far out of time there is no way they will work satisfactorily. I mentioned poorly aligned sprockets to an engineer at one aftermarket company and he said nobody had complained about them. I wonder how many guys blamed the combine when chains kept jumping off due to lousy sprockets.

camshaft

Thanks Deadeye, I bought the OEM sprockets, looks like a hexagon shaft, timing shouldn't be an issue should itIJ I need some tips on how to remove the old chain as well as the shafts and then replace everything. looks like a very big job to me.

Tom_Russell

You are making an assumption that may not be correct. If the hex bore isnt correctly located in relation to sprocket cogs, then they will be out of time when installed in the machine. The only way to check sprockets is to install them on a hex shaft with one sprocket reversed and verify that cogs are aligned with a straight edge. You will find there is only one way to install sprockets and have them aligned properly. This is covered in the service manual if I recall correctly. Some batches of sprockets from one aftermarket supplier will never line up correctly.

camshaft

Thanks Tom, Will heed your advise, I bought Agco sprockets so should be OK. For some reason I'm dreading this job. Only way is to get at it I guess, hopefully next week. It's just so darn hot here.

Krawler

Was told to go with OEM, to stay away from any chains with the plastic slats as they were not aggressive enough.