Combines Hugger Head

Kurt

We have a 1230 head and we have had both hex shafts break, one on each side. To us it looks like when they weld the collar on the shaft they are crystilizing it. We had one break the last two seasons, none this year of course a very short harvest season this year. Kurt

Hyper_Harvest_II

Foxtail, I have had several customers have the same shaft break.Does not matter whether RH or lH,6,8,or 12 row. Breaks in the exact same place every time,right where the collar is welded to hex shaft.We have the same theory about shaft crystalizing in welded area. Had a Dealer try to tell us that AGCO told them that they had problems with quality of hex shafts.Now,if AGCO is getting any warranty claims on this shaft(which I think breaks more often after first year of use)they need to have them sent back for inspection.What we do to fix this problem is pull the shaft out,after it breaks and then turn it around and stick it back in place welding a washer to end of hex shaft so it bottoms against driven gear.Then on the inner end the shaft will be too short to go through carrier bearing.We then weld two 1_2" bolts to side of row unit to mount carrier bearing to and reinstall bearing.After this is done,we drill a hole in hex shaft protruding and install a roll pin so shaft stays in place.Have not had one fail since changing to this set-up.I think a lot of these shafts break well after warranty has ran out,but is do to a manufacturing flaw.Hopefully someone will look into this from AGCO. Hyper Harvest II

turbo

Gathering chain sprockets are fastened on with bolts instead of rollpins. Flighting pitch is different on auger. The heads have a high back for combines with lateral tilt. The drive chain for auger has a sprocket idler instead of flat idler. Thats all I can think of.

Silver_Bullet

I used to run a hugger on a R50 and never put in a filler plate....ears and etc. would fill up the triangle area and never caused a problem.

mike

Yes U can. Takes a bit more work on the newer heads as the area above and behind the auger that catches leaves, etc is now angled instead of flat. Depends on what reel you buy on how they mount. We bought ours from Heritage machine and welding in Bloomington Il about 8 years ago and have used it numerous times. It's maybe a bit more install work than some others, but they sell them for about 1_2 the price of a kelderman, etc. I assume they are still in business. I'd get one lined up, they will help you keep your sanity.

big_orange

You can use gearbox grease in them also, that's what is recomended in mine.