Combines R50 rear feeder chain

T__langan

First of all, as Wild Willy Clinton would say, "I feel your pain"! We had trouble with our R50 the first year or two we owned it also. Even replaced both feeder chains in an attempt to solve the problem. Come to find out that our wunderful dealer at that time had told us to leave the feeder drive in the "fast" position in corn. And since these Gleaners are so corn hungry, running the corn head fast to eat it all would really cause that feeder to hum! Once we followed the book's recomendation and switched to the "Slow" speed for corn, our problem disappeared. I don't think we've had a chain jump in six years now. That would be the first thing I would check. Now, to get that chain back, get a 1_2" bolt and tie a string to it. Set that bolt in the sprocket and turn the feeder, feeding the chain over the bolt. That feeder will magicly pop back onto the sprocket correctly without having to disassemble it. The string is to retrieve that bolt after above said operation. I owe this little trick to the infamous tbran, one of this board's wise men. I think he climbed a mountain somewhere to "get focused". Ain't seen much of him lately on here. He will probably be back when 40 days and 40 nights is up. Take care-

Dan

Along with other suggestions here be sure to have rear feed sprocket strippers on for corn. If you have rock door sump kit installed that could be causing problem. Installing rock door hump will help prevent the problem. Extending the second helical from gearbox over top left corner of feed opening (on R50) will reduce the load on the left side of chain. Of course be sure that sprockets are in time and centered. Even the highest quality new chain can jump a cog if strippers are not in place for corn. A transition problem inbetween chain and cylinder is the other cause. Hope that helps.

Ed

Thank-you for the reminder - mental acuity is weakening since that birthday a few months ago. Dan, do you think these chains jump a cog because an ear of corn gets between the chain and the sprocketIJ Is this more likely to happen if the conveyor is run on fast speedIJ I do run it on fast for the simple reason that this keeps the monitor from squeeling at me that the rear conveyor is too slow - there is something wrong with the set point they use. Is that little bit of extra helical over the feeder area going to deflect much cornIJ

Dan

I would believe there is the about the same chance to jump a chain on high or slow speed when in corn without the strippers in place. If light stays on when in slow speed you should check a couple things. Check air gap between monitor sender and the six legs of monitor disk. Get all six legs as close as you can without touching. Also be sure that sender is positioned so complete flat of sender disk is in register with sending unit, may need to add or remove washers to get it lined up well. Module could be checked out with module tester to see the range for light is just right. Also check gap inbetween front set of varible sheave to be sure belt isn't sliping out on you. Also if you have the single C width belt on right side of feeder that it is able to self tention. I have seen them belt tentioners where they are sticky and belt will not self tention when put under load. On that single belt system they use a push spring that has a spring length guide right next to it. I will usually tighten spring beyond the guide to get plenty of distance from bottom of sping anchor to washer and nut. Otherwise the washer and nut can come up against spring anchor and prevent belt from self tentioning under load. Newer machines have a longer pipe inside spring to bring nut and washer further away from spring anchor. I would run chain on slow for corn to prevent wear and tear. If chain will not handle all of the corn on slow you can go ahead and speed it up. Helical filler may not make a bunch of difference in corn but it is certainly the thing to do if you have time. Noing how much the filler will help in other tough crops I will never let one get by my shop without installing one. The third helical on the large P3's handle alot more straw so they may be quite alot more important than the second helical on the small P3's. First helical handles very little straw, second handles more and third handles more yet.