Combines header on R52

Bob

What type of header do you haveIJ I have an older R50 w_ a 20 foot grain header and have no problems.Have they got the air problem fixed on the R52 since they went to the longer shoe setupIJ Also do you have any experience w_ edible beansIJ I have trouble with cracking and skin checking here in central Washington State. Thanks.

bird

Bob We have a 500 series 25 foot head on R 52 combine. I am located in Ohio--noticed at the Farm Science

Springlad_Farms

We have a new 52 and have an air reel on a series 500 head.

Badge

Pull your reel back until the fingers actually contact the auger. It sounds like heck to have the fingers hitting the auger but it really improves feeding of short crops.

Springlad_Farms

If you pull the reel all the way back on our series 500

stacker

We farm in Southern Idaho and have the same problem in edibles. Right around my area there are basically no rotary Gleaners, mostly just CIH. Got to demo a R-52 in wheat and then again in corn. Absolutely marvelous, but in beans we had cleanouts up to four times higher than a CIH. We tried playing with it, but even the dealer told us we'd just have to live with it.

Jim

We took an R-52 in on trade that had been sold by another dealer which had similar bunching problems. We found in this instance the solution was 3 part.

Dave

This may be a tad late for your problem and you may already know, BUT, When we had a short soybean crop, it broke my heart to see the whole plants get cut and then lie on the knife only to fall off on the ground. I lowered the reel until I trimmed the p_u fingers too. Then I bought 6" wide Round Baler belting and attached it to the bats so that the belt edge extends 2" beyond the p_u fingers. I used plastic cable ties to hold the belting to the fingers so it doesn't flap, and now the belting sweeps the knife. I put two sections of belt in each bank of reel bats, staggering them so that they feed evenly. Works pretty well. hope this helps. Dave

Silver_Shoes

Well short beans are no fun, we deal with it every year on certian soil types. Honestly we finally got tired of it and installed an Air Reel, if you install one you will never run a combine (any make or model) with out it again, they solve all feeding problems :)