Hyper_Harvest_II

Michigan, There have been many updates to the rockdoor area on older N's.I assume that you have the older style if you cannot adjust it any closer than 5_8".Older style rockdoors ,when latched,rested on a latch plate bolted to the front of the concave.Depending on when the rockdoor and latch plate where adjusted and depending on where the concave was set at,normally you can only tighten the concave about 1_8" from that point.At this point, if the anti-bounce bolts where adjusted up snug,the concave and rockdoor will start to bind.You may need to back off the anti-bounce bolts and also readjust your latch plate.(Sometimes dirt and chaff build-up can also be a problem,but check the above first.)As for the rockdoor not swinging down.(Two things to check.)(1)Rockdoor latch could be catching on the latch plate if adjusted too tight.(Try lowering concave or move latch plate.)Don't forget to readjust the anti-bounce bolts once you have everything set!(2)Sometimes the friction bolt that holds the rockdoor in the closed position while you latch the door sometimes can wear a groove in R.H. shoe seal.This will catch when you try to swing the rockdoor down.(Back the friction bolt out.)Hope this helps, Hyper Harvest II.

mean_glean

If your machine is equiped with a stone trap door where you use the same wrench to close and to latch the door it is likely caused by one thing. This initial setup was designed so that every time you adjusted your concave clearance you were also to adjust your stone trap latching mechanism. On the N Series the front of the concave and the back of the stone door floated together when you adjust the concave. Begining in the R Series they went to an independant latch mechanism and a two wrench system. There is also a change up for the N Series. Try first to adjust your concave with the door open, then try to adjust and latch your door. Hope this cures your problem....

GlEANER2DND

I have a 1981 N7 w_ a 20' flex and 6-30 corn head for sale. Combine is RWA and is in excellent condition. New hydro, new tires, all the updates. Completely rebuilt the machine in '96 less the engine. New chains, bars, clutch shaft and clutch, accelerator rollers(new style),chopper assembly, auger elbow, ect. Also reworked both headers. Updated a_c this spring to 134a. Blows cold. Machine has done very little work in last few years, R62 took over and gave it a rest. Over 20 grand spent to breathe new life into her. Will take $25,000 for the whole package.

RD

You should check the cage and rotor bars for wear,the accelerator rolls,Check the main drive clutch Best bet is to find someone that owns an N series and have them go with you to check out the combine. Where are you locatedIJ maybe I'm close or someone else is close to where you are

Tom_Russell

$9500 sounds like a bargain to me. I would like to buy a low hour machine like that as backup. Tom in MN

John

190 hp for all N5's, N6's are 220 hp. N7 is 270 hp. The AC R series were the same engine specs as the N series with the rpm's slowed down and the use of the American Bosch fuel system of the late N's. The early N's(pre-82) used the Roosamaster fuel system and smoked fiercely!

John

Do not get an early (78-81)N series Gleaner. The 1982 Series 3 and newer were a much better machine all around. The N5 will handle a 20' GT and a 6-30 CH without any troubles. I have hyperized my 82 N6 and it can gobble more grain than I can keep fed to it. The speed of the sickle and rolls are the limiting factor for me. Normally 6+ mph. The Series 3 had the change in the fuel system and produced much less smoke and extended the engine hours on the N6 because it was slowed down and still produced 220 hp. The later N series also had a better throat and will grab the newer style hugger heads without making modifications. Any good condition 82-85 N series will be a good machine for you. Used parts for the newer machines are hard to come by because like mine, it's 21 years old and still going strong. The older 78-81 N are easy to find in the salvage yards. Good luck!