Combines N and R s

John

The later N's aka series 3 1983 and newer are OK, and the R5_6_7 but I have my doubts on the 50_60_70's as Deutz was involved and parts are limited for some things if not totally unavailable. The N_R 5 have the smaller cage and engine and the N_R6 and7 have the same cage but the 6 has the smaller engine and grain tank. The R is a better choice if you can find it because they slowed the engines down for longer life on the 5's and 6's. The N's ran at higher RPM and needed rod bolts and bearings changed atleast every 3000 hrs.

ANDY

We upgraded from an M2 GlEANER. Talked to our AGCO dealer about next size up GlEANER. He told me the N series was complicated. R series got simplar, but the R5, R6, R7 were hybrids of the N series and the early DUETZE-AllIS R series. The earlier R50 used a hydraulic pump on the header to drive the reel(pre 89 1_2),'90 and newer used a two section pump driven directly by the engine. The final drives are (small) S-22 to S-31,(big) S-36, if I recall correctly. We have a '90 R50 6-30 corn 20ft bean head. I'm using a MICROTRAK GRAIN-TAK. I can run 1,000 to 1,150 bu_hr corn. If I run less it gets sloppy. When we use 2 trucks to dump-on-the-go,I can run 1,300 to 1,450 bu_hr. The single most important change I made was to add a TURBO BOOST GUAGE to monitor engine load. The other thing is to use corn bars for corn_soybeans.One important point I've seen from the messages is to keep the oil coolers clean. This year I used compressed air to blow backward. They "looked" clean but I was amazed at how much soybean dust came out.

silver_pride

I would go with the R series because of the increased duribility over the N series. I have used N5, R60, and R72. N series is good machine but not built as heavy as R series. Capacity is not much different between N6 and R60 but the R60 will hang together much better. Deutz motor in R series is very easy on fuel and has plenty of power. Straw choppers are much easier to instal on R series, and they distribute the straw much more evenly than does the N series.

Docslak

looking for an N6 operators manualIJ a service manual would be great as wellIJ Thanks David

unit_3

I would not go smaller than the N6. It must be a 1984 or newer with a chopper. The older machines had a different throat hookup and you would need to buy mounting brackets for your heads.