Combines air cleaner upgrade

Dan

How do you clean asperatorsIJ I have blown them out until I'm blue in the face and still not clean. I find I have to dunk asperator bundle in a bucket of water and using moderate pressure I force water back and forth. I had replaced the 12" with 14" and air cleaner pluged even earlier. After doing quite alot of testing to find what was wrong I found that I had to many swirly things in asperator. I got the duct tape out and pluged up just enough holes so I run a vacuum and then no more problems. That was on machines with Deutz V8s. Another thing I did to help out the Deutz is install a second barb on asperator so you can hook each hose to its own barb. If I would of done that to the ones I put the 14" cleaner on I maybe wouldn't of had to plug up some of the swirly things. With to many swirly things I had no vacuum in bundle assembly to pull out the dirt that got spun into vacuum area. I have also heard some say that 14" cleared there problem up completely but I know it didn't in the conditions I was in. I would suggest doing a couple things before springing for the larger air cleaner. Wash asperator in bucket of water and have someone carefully install a second barb to asperator bundle. Then to help prevent ever burning out the swirly things in asperator install the large prescreen. I have seen the small prescreen plug up and then the engine will suck air from asperators on exhaust pipes which will burn up asperator bundle swirly things. Cummins equiped machines seem to develop more vacuum from exhaust pipe so they don't bother as much. When a Cummins bothers be sure to wash out asperator. The other thing that can help out the Cummins is install the collector can on side of asperator bundle if there isn't allready one there. Now on the other hand I have heard of some operators extending air intake pipe up into cleaner air and some have installed precleaner that has one large spinner instead of a bunch of small ones. There has been good results there also. Now if you would post this question over in the General section instead of hear where you are supposed to you may get some more suggestions. Good luck.

Gleaner_Guy

Get ahold of Chuck Glover, Serv. Man. or Dave Barlow @ Farm Equipment Headquarters in Pendleton, Ore. Dave builds a special stack. Problem solved.

RamRod

I have had both the Deutz V-8s and now the M11 Cummins, and have a couple of tips: to help keep the aspirators clean, every time I have the air hose in the engine compartment I blow from the top of the aspirator to keep the swirl ports clean(and if I have the outer air cleaner removed, I blow up the bottom of the aspirator similarly),and most importantly, to keep the outer air filter clean longer, I use silicon caulk at the bottom of and all the way around the aspirator below the clamp strap(especially using care to fill the gap at the clamp bolt area!). I did this before last fall, and could run many times longer between cleanings of the outer filter.