Combines grass

NDDan

Thanks to Dave Wilken, Randy West, and Doug at Blue Mt. Ag my first time experience with many super light seed crops went well. I'll relay on a few things we did that Dave didn't mention. We installed rotor sweeps to help prevent making cotton or linting in Bluegrass. Sweeps help to prevent grinding straw in grasses by keeping material moving. We tarp straped an old swather canvas on top of seperator side in Bluegrass to help prevent excess shoe load and cottonizing. We manufactured a wire devise for underside of accelerator rolls to help break up cottonized Bluegrass if that is a problem. We hung belting 1_4" thick by approx. 8" the width of shoe to help knock down any air born Bluegrass. We hung it about half way back over chaffer. We had along a 1"x4" so called Canola board to fasten just above rear frame of chaffer to dam up good seeds that may get to rear of chaffer but didn't need it. We installed small seeds kit with total blank on top duct for Bluegrass and left bottom duct at 50%. A trick we tried before small seed kit was install 6" tall iron in front of air intake to narrow air intake open area with choke closed to about 2 to 3". That didn't dampen the air enough for Bluegrass but is likely enough for many other light seeds. Another trick we did for top air duct is install a turnbuckle on lever so we could tweak the air when solid cover was on dampner. You might have noticed most of this tweaking is for Bluegrass. Other grasses arn't near as challenging but do demand the light seed kit or air dampning of some sort. Unloading certain grasses can be challenging. Don't uncover auger anymore than you have to. Extend auger flighting as close to bushing support as possible and gusset the flighting. Remove anti-spit iron out at the spout to prevent plugging up. Be very carefull not to overfeed unloading system for some grasses do not want to be unloaded with augers. Thanks again to the guys getting me started with grass. It also helped to take this first voyage with a Bluegrass farming expert that new all the other colors. He rated this modified Gleaner as good or better than the other modified colors with just this first time experience.