Combines 9700 9720 white and 8590 Massey questions

Red

when you find one about what can you expect to pay private treaty I am probably more in the market for the 9700 or 9720 than the massey because of cost and i'm just getting started. i am from mostly wheat and irrigated spring crop country ow will they handle the 30 ft head in say 40-60 bu wheat. i found a 9700 for sale it had a 30 ft head and the 708 corn head the guy wanted 10000 for it and i didn't have it right then and i assume it sold. were they more of a corn machine than a small grain machineIJ i've seen you guys talking about the 8900 and 8920 were these conventionals any good i've seen pictures and think they look pretty descent with the rotary screen on the right side of the machine instead of behind the operator on the left and a regular return instead of the rethresher. not to harp on massey but those are the two real trouble spots i've seen. how would the 9700 compare to an 860 and the N7 well thanks again Red

TwinSilvers

White's intentions were to phase the conventional combines out completely, much like International Harvester and New Holland did (in North America) at the time. The only difference between the 9320 and 9520 was horsepower, in addition to some minor changes like bin capacity. I guess you could compare the 9320_9520 to the 1440_1460 IH at that same time. I wasn't aware that there was ever a 5.9l in an 8560 MF, but then again I lost interest in the rotaries when Massey took them over from White.

woody

10 is about right for the 9700 + heads, depending on condition. As high as 20-25 for 9720 and 30-35 for 8590. We run 30 ft drapers , 4mph in 60 bu wheat and 5 mph in 80+ barley. WE are expecting great things when we repower. I dont have any experience with the conventionals but i think they are very small compared to the rotaries. You will probably have double the capacity of a 860 and not quite double the n7, depending on wheat or barley.

amishd

We run a 9720 beside a Case-IH 2188. In dry conditions the Case has the edge. But in really tough conditions the White has the edge. (Did flax one fall while it was snowing, the Case had to quit while the White didn't care if if was snowing or not) Due to the fact the White has an AFX type rotor which Case introduced now (auger type impeller to feed the rotor instead of elephant ears) Funny part is White had that technology in the late '70's. But for capacity, never ran against a Gleaner N7, it would make a joke of Massey 860. We're talking apples to oranges difference. Wouldn't be scared to put it beside a JD 9600_9610 in tough conditions either. The big thing is those combines are VERY cheap capacity for what your buying. The downfall of them I find is that there some little stupid engineering flaws. Some days you have to ask yourself "What were they thinkingIJ". Good luck PS-Case is quite a bit better on fuel too. That Perkins likes the juice.

Big_Green

We had N6 for a few years. Bought it 1979 I belive. It cut really good for the 1st few years but got unreliable, well anyway i saw 2 R 62's and an R 72 in dryland wheat making about 30bpa. and our N would have smoked all of them.

buffalohunter

woody very interested in your repower project. i was thinking along the same lines. would you give me a call. my number is 306-375-2280.

Kelly

I don't know what you have been smoking but a late R62 is a bigger machine than an N7. I had them side by side in good wheat with the N7 having lots of hours and fully polished internally while the R62 was brand new (unpolished chrome eats capacity). Neither one could pull away from the other. I would guess when the 62 got polished and a tweaked wastegate it would of blasted the N7 away. 30 bushel wheat doesn't test a 62 or a 72 unless you are running a 36' header.

Big_Green

I didnt own the R 62's or the R 72 but the custom cutter that DID own them said that his previous N7's would smoke his new ones So I am not the only one that has this opinion so I guess you can shut the HEll up. And 30 foot heads looked like plenty no faster than they could go. Glad we own green. And one more thing that custom cutter is all green now b_c he couldnt get parts on his gleaners, he is much happier with the 9750's.

k_k_farm

does anybody know where i can find 9700-9720 in southern ontario to at least look at what is the difference between the 9700 and the 8590 massey IJ

kiwi

I saw a letter on MT where the guy reckoned Cat were working on a White 9720 with a 500+ hp Cat engine. But that's the only comment I've seen - except for the following comment from "Twin Silvers" which may be about the same program. kiwi