Combines Conrad Black

AGCOfan

lets hope he goes to jail then. Apparently hes uup here in Canada but i'm sure he will make his way to Chicago and if not I don't think we'd stop the US government from coming to get him. Take care, Nathan

Silver_Shoes

Can you explain this, I dont know who he is, was, or what he did. Thanks

hv_user

I pulled out my book " Massey at the Brink" and it talks about Mr. Black. It sounds like he walked away from Massey with the Argus group at the worst time. This is the best book about Massey Ferguson it tells anything you ever wanted to know.

Cookie_Jar

Argus Corporation was a major Canadian holding company run mainly by E.P. Taylor and McDougall. It controlled very many of the most successful Canadian Corporations, including Massey Ferguson (at the time the largest farm implement manufacturer in the world),Dominion Stores (at the time Canadas largest supermarket chain) and Canadian Breweries (Canadas largest brewery). When Taylor and McDougall died, the young Conrad Black managed to get their widows to sign over control of Argus to him. Black saw his future glory as being a newspaper baron and started Hollinger which bought out newspapers around the world. Black controlled a whole family of corporations in a complicated cross ownership arrangement. As Hollingers fortunes went up, much of Argus got liquidated. lord Conrad Black is now in trouble with the law in his dealings with Hollinger. See http:__www.cbc.ca_news_background_black_conrad_

MostlyGreen

I have absolutely NO love for Con Black, but "Innocent until proven guilty". I'd hope we WOUlD stop the U.S. from coming to get him. Seems like a very vengeful D.A. in Chicago who wants to make a name for himself.

Combine_Wizard

OF, if you really want to go further, I highly recommend E. Peter Neufeld's, "A Global Corporation." This was published by the University of Ontario Press in 1968. It is hard to find, having not been re-printed, but is a comprehensive history of Massey-Ferguson from its very beginning. Of course, you can still find this and many other great history books, at www.amazon.com

Redhat

He was involved some how back when Massey was owned by Varity Corp. He was on the board of directors I think, Varity effectively finished off what was left of Massey-Ferguson in North America and broke most of it up piece by piece. They sold Perkins off to Caterpillar.

Guy_C

Conrad Black was invovled before the name change to Varity.He was the CEO of Argus Corp which was the majority shareholder of Massey in the late seventies.He completely screwed them over,to make a long story short,he took the money and ran which put Massey on the brink. A man by the name of Victor Rice then took over and had a big mess to clean up.He basicly split the company in two,he put all the product that was built outside of Canada in one division and all the product that was buit in Canada in another.One was called Massey Ferguson Inc and the other was called Massey Combines Corpartion.The main product from MCC was the 800 series combine and the 4000 series tractor.I forget the exact numbers but MF INC had 20 times more income than MCC had but the debt was slit evenly among the two of them,MCC was destined to fail and they did.later Victor Rice changed the name from Massey Ferguson to Varity Corp and split the company in divisions again which consisted of Massey Ferguson,Perkins,Kelsey-Hayes and Massey Ferguson CE.He sold Perkins to CAT and sold the North American rights of Massey to Agco.The following year he saved Agco by selling them all of Massey Ferguson which put Agco on the world map.He later merged Varity with a company called lucas and it was called lucas-Varity.This is a condensed version,can't type fast enough,lol