Combines MF 3690 and 8160 Tractors

KSFarmer1

We had an 8150. The Valmet engine, which is now called SISU, was a very strong, nice engine. It was very easy on fuel. The Dynashift was also a good transmission. The only problem we had with it was in very cold weather while the tractor was still cold, the transmission couldn't be shifted through the ABCD ranges. The lights on the dash would flash and it was locked in whatever range you left it in last time you drove it. It would work again when the tractor warmed up. Don't know if that was a safety thing to keep from damaging the transmission, but it was a little annoying. We got rid of the tractor because we couldn't keep up with the oil leaks on it. We would take it in and have them fixed and it would start again. The outlets on the back always dripped no matter how many o-rings we replaced. The PTO shaft had multiple seals put in it. The engine was dripping too, and we were told it was going to take $$$ to get them all fixed again, so we traded it in on a DT200A AGCO with a SISU. Didn't want to get away from that good engine.

hv_user

The tractor is made to do that so you will let it warm up before you drive it.I have not had 8160's leak around here.Congrats on your agco its a Massey painted orange.

MF_9790

Hey, We have 3 MF 8160's now and have had 6 since they have been out. I really like the transmission. The only problem was like they said before if its cold they won't shift, but after they warm up they are fine. I never really drove the 3690's, I was to young to drive them at the time. Other then that we haven't had any big problems to our knowledge. We put about 4000 to 4500 hours on our 8160's. MF 9790

IowaDan

In 1998 I leased a new 8160 for three years. I liked the tractor so much that I bought it after the lease was up. I still have the tractor and have had no major problems. I really like the transmission and the engine. Tranny shifts smooth and engine has plenty of power with good fuel economy. I think you'll like the cab better on the 8160 over the 3690. In very cold weather the computer will not let the tractor shift until the hydraulic oil warms a little. Just a safety feature to prevent damage.

RNM

I am seriously looking at a 8140 and was thinking of posting the same questions that IowaDan asked. I am glad to hear that most of you liked the tractors. What I can't figure is why they are so much less money than the John Deere. I'm looking at a 1997 8140 MFWD with 2700 hrs and my local dealer is "asking" 49,000.00 In my area (southern Ontario Can.) a comparable JD (7800 or older 7810) would be running in the 75 to 85k range, usually with twice the hrs. Does anyone think the JDs are really worth the extra.

Silver_Shoes

lOl onion your right, but its nice to be part of a equipment family full of great equipment.