Combines 8780 ENGINE REVSIJ

hv_user

If its a 8780xp I would bet its the fan belt slipping I can't believe more people have not had trouble with that.Mine is not a problem any more I found the fix Cummins and Agco did not.

8780xp

I have an XP with 2000 eng. hours and never had any trouble with the fan belt, nor have I ever heard of anyone else with that trouble. Just an observation. No real point here I guess. However, last year we had a module on the injection pump go out and that created all sorts of weird engine rpm swings, but the tach in the cab also showed those swings, so I don't know if this info will help you out at all.

dav11

Gentlemen: I just have to put a reply on this one-- here it goes!! I have a 2000 8780xp, as long as I owned it, it had a small reving of the engine,and that was all, no other symtoms like you said, called cummins to check it out, they checked it out by putting a computer onto it, they found nothing wrong and then updated the CPl,then as I kept usung it the tachometer would show always a different rpm constantly and the oil pressure gauge would do the same and most of the time it would read 0 and the warning beeper would be on most of the time -- some days I could have just traken a hammer and knocked it out-- called cummins again to find out whats wrong, they said they would be there friday or monday, that was 2 years ago, no one has showed up yet,finally this fall one day the motor slowed to an idle and no matter where you moved the throttle it would only idle, so called a cummins service store about 35 miles away as cummins will not let dealer that sells them have th computer to fix a problem, this was a time consuming process, anyway he thought fuel sensor switch on the fuel pump was bad, so had to go 100 miles to get, put it on-- it didnt do it-- after it started and run a little it died, this time it would not start, called him again, this time he couldnt figure out what was wrong, finally decided I needed a accumulater-- well that was 170 miles away-- so went to get that-- when he finally showed up to put it on , when he took accumultor off tiny white pieces started falling out, so he realized the fuel pump is junk,white pieces from one of two small porciline pins inside of accumulater, so I take off to sioux falls -- another 150 miles away for a fuel pump, so after 4 lost days and 4 grand lighter we finally got it to run and my brother and myself and another guy helped us put it in to make it run because he has a puller to take the gear off the old pump, I am not very impressed with cummins service or parts needless to say-- I think you may have the beginning of a big problem my friend-- hate to tell you that-- thats what happened to mine, there is a difference in the motors-- mine is electronic and you may have one that is mechanical,anyway-- Good luck to you!

jerry

I am not looking forward to that type of outcome! By the way what is an accumulator and do you have any suggestions (besides a new combine) Thanks.

dav11

Jerry: they explained what the acumulater does and I dont recall thier exact words so to have it make sense but the electronic cummins engines will have them but if you have a mechanical I dont believe it would, I would say you could maybe have it checked out by someone you have confidence in and see what they think, the fuel pump costed me 4000 with a 1300 return deposit and to have they certified cummins mechanic come out with laptop and the software to find problem -- and he had to make 3 trips out to farm to do this -- that was 1200-- so 4 grand it came to and 4 days of standing around doing nothing exept driving 830 total miles for the parts,ANOTHER THING---- BEWARE-- the first time he caame and the computer showed that the fuel sensor on the fuel pump was faulty-- when I got the new sensor-- cummins has made updates for this and they even have updates on the updates and it happens that on the fuel sensor is one of those updates and the wiring harness to hook it up is changed so you need an adapter to make it work---- however cummins DOES NOT provide the proper wiring harness hookup to make the updated part work-- you have to order that seperate--AND-- believe it or not there are cummins people at every level that DO NOT know that these parts even exist-- so I ended up just labeling the wires and cutting the goofy end off and using crimp connectors to make it work, or you could always just dont buy a combine that has a cummins engine-- I know this now!!! I wish you the best !!!