Combines 9720 duals

hellandharvester

Installing duals on a 9720 is not recomended. Every machine that I know of that has ever been dualled has broken final drive axels.

Adam_Suess

Is it a berring issue that causes the problem or just the axle it self is not strong enoughIJ I've got duals on it now for 22" rows. 420 80-46 They are just not spaced wide enough for 30" rows and plug with mud to easy. Plus they run on the row ane the stubble is starting to chew them up. I'd be willing to switch final drives to somthing stronger if somthing that works is out thereIJ

hellandharvester

It is my experience that the axel is just not strong enough to handle duals. As far as changing final drives I am looking into New Holland final drives for mine , but am not sure if they will pan out. There is nothing that I know of that is a easy fix for the weak axels. If you have not had troubles with your setup you might want to think about axel spacers to get your spaceing right. One of my 8590's has them and they seem to be a good alternative. They correct the spaceing problem, without adding more stress on the axels, by moving the final drives out, not the wheels.

ferge

We have duals on our 8590 -- it has axel extensions -- a few years ago my brother was on his way to put the unit away for the winter when everything shook and the duals rooled into the ditch -- we were lucky it was not on a major highway -- it sat on this rarely traveled country road for about a week -- there was a crane a mile away working on some grain bins so we got it to lift it onto some blocks it sat there for a week or more -- typical AGCO price on the axel!!!!!! I think what happened was that one of the duals was very low on air pressure ( almost flat) and it put too much stress on the axel with the 330 bu grain tank extension -- now we check the tires every day and have not had a problem since!!!!!

Adam_Suess

I've looked into the spacers but have been unable to locate a set with drive shafts. It would get them between the rows but there is still the issue with mud. The 9720 is parked next to the 2388 in the shed. The final drives are very similar. I'm not sure how the gear ratios would match upIJ I will more than likely need to have axle extensions and drive shafts built any way. I could have one end built to accept the case final and position the drive shaft correctly. We have had quite a bit of trouble busting wheel bolts on the 2388 though. New 18.4-42 duals are $12,000 with extensions and shafts for the white finals. I see worthington ag parts just got a complete working 9700 rwa If some one wants it. Photos on their web site.