Combines Onionfarmer 8780xp questionIJ

hv_user

I think I would buy some of that electrical jelly I can't think of the name right now.Clean the connection put some of that in the plug put it togather and cover with tape.I will try to look at mine and see what it looks like.I don't know if this has helped but I use fuel additive in my diesel all the time.This low sulfer diesel is crap. good luck

dav11

yes I would have to agree the fuel is not what it was even just a year or two ago, I get mine with additive already blended into it, costs a little more but I think it should be added, if you looked at yours, those contact points inside that connector block are so small and hard to get to, I dont know what I could use to get in there to shine them up with, even a finger nail file is too big, I believe that the moisture is getting in there through the part that comes from the engine wiring harness and from the back side of block, I think maybe silicone would work to try to seal up and places where it could get in, the rubber seal where the 2 blocks of wires connect looks in very good condition. I think it is possible that this could be making me problems for some time, bad part is now I am done and cant run it for a day or two in field to know for sure if it was or wasnt.

northernfarmer

I think there is contact cleaner that can be bought at equipment dealers.. I have also used carb cleaner.. be sure to disconnect the batteries, don't need power jumping all over the place inside that plug.. do both ends(male and female) allow to dry before plugging back together.. it wouldn't hurt to do it a couple of times to make sure it cleans it up right.. then follow onionfarmer's idea of the sealing jelly and if you can, use shrink wrap instead of tape

northernfarmer

another way to help seal it use liquid tape over the shrink wrap or the electrical tape..

Jeff71

After you have used the spray contact cleaner have you considered using a dielectric grease in the connectionIJ It should help stop corrosion by repelling the moisture. Just a thought. Please keep us posted on the results.

hv_user

I looked at mine today and the connections are dry and clean.I am not surprised we don't get much rain(12 inches av 7 inches this year)and it is inside the rest of the time.

dav11

thank you for response and information, mine is always inside except for when using it, but I believe it was outside most of the time before I bought it, it had a couple hundred hours on it, the possibility is there that moisture has been getting in there for some time, right now it is too cold to work with it but it will warm up again some day, thanks again.