Combines converting 63 series header to 22 spacing

dsmith

I converted a 1163 Massey header several years ago to 7 rows. Spacing was 19". left 27" rows for the wheel tracks. Overall average spacing therefore was 21". This arrangement has served me well. Should be no trouble sliding stripper units along toolbar. You may be able to get away without changing the length of the toolbar and auger as the overall widths will be close; ie. 6 x 30 = 180 vs. 8 x 22 = 176. Tin will have to be cut and reshaped for the narrow rows. This is time consuming work but is quite doable. One concern with this set up is the width of the outside dividers. The Massey drive extends well beyond the centerline of the outside rows even when they are pushed out to the end of the tool bar. This can make navigation throught the field difficult particularly if rows are not strait. This may be less of a problem for 22" rows. Recall my header is set for 19". Your other option would be to shorten the toolbar and auger by 4". This would also require some modification of the tin work on the outside rows. Hope this helps. Good luck.