Combines Grain bin extensions Clean grain elevator

Greyhawk

Goober we have a 760 with about a two foot extension in the clean grain elevator, this drives a jumbo Hannaford secondary cleaning system off the top elevator shaft . We replaced the drive cogs at about 1800 hrs but it seems like the elevator drive will stand a bit of extra strain

Goober

Greyhawk, You have the 2 foot extension plus the secondary cleaning system driven by the original elevator drive. I mentioned my idea to a Massey mechanic and he said it takes a lot to drive that style fill auger and that the racheting clutch might not take it. What is a Hannaford secondary cleaning systemIJ

Greyhawk

Hey Goober sorry I am so slow coming back on this we have had all sorts of problems with our internet connection over the last few months then harvest and to tell the truth i had forgotten all about this ! Now, we are in australia harvesting wheat so some of this won't make sense but here goes the hannaford (brand name)cleaning system is like a mini grader to help us get a clean sample , our MINIMUM delivery standards for wheat into the elevator system would horrify most US wheat farmers . The hannaford screen is designed to remove small pinched grain on the go . is consists of a rotary screen about 18 or 20 inches diameter and 4foot long with a paddle agitator inside , the outside screen turns fast enough that cetrifugal force keeps the grain against the whole of the outer screen (probably about 80rpm) and the paddle agitator goes about twice that speed pushing the grain thru to the other end where it drops down onto a spreader auger that equalises the load in the main grain bin . the seconds (small grain ) is taken by a small auger and drops in an auxillary bin that is fitted over the fuel tank area ( this holds about 30bushels). I am sure that stuff would take more to drive than the auger that you are thinking about. There are two weak points in this drive 1. a single circlip holds the pulley hub located in the bearings where the shaker pitman takes it drive at the clean grain cross auger . its a simple job to take this of and replace circlip and should be done each season . 2 the spline on the clean grain auger shaft that engages in the pulley hub wears and will need to be inspected at each season when the circlip is replaced . our 760 did about 1800 engine hours before we needed to replace the elevator chain drive sprockets and the original spline assembly was worn but still ok at that stage. Your modification will definitely speed up the wear rate in these areas but there will be a lot of other parts of the machine will go crunch first . Apert from being old and noisy to drive this is a good machine and I have not had a problem getting parts for it yet . I am interested in any non standard info regards small grain setup for these machines.