Combines TR70

Dustmaker

From what I have seen of the TR70's with Ford engines, they just don't have enough power. You would be much better off to find one with a Cat on it.

Brand

I owned a TR-70 with a Ford engine for several years. In my opinion, the engine was the best part about the machine. It was the only thing we never worked on, and in reality, the TR-70 does not have enough sieve capacity to need the CAT engine, especially with a 6 row cornhead in 150BPA corn. At 2000 hours our combine was completely worn out. Metal was fatigued, bearings were constantly being replaced, the variable speed and transmission clutch were nightmares, the axle housings broke, major and expensive shafts needed replaced, and we took top care of the machine, so poor maintenance was not an issue. It was by far the worst machine we have ever had on our farm. Some plusses were that when it was running it did give the cleanest grain sample of any combine, and the cab was fairly nice and quiet for that age of machine. I would never own another one, even for a second, back-up combine. If you have a dealer close who keeps a good stock of parts you might be OK, as long as you don't run many acres, have a full toolbox, and don't give over $5000 for the combine and heads.

JHEnt

When switching from corn_beans to wheat I would suggest installing all of the small wires in the concave. You also change the concave extension at the same time. Some people use the roller kit which consists of steel rolls which slip over the larger wires. this makes it easier for corn cobs to work to the rear. Some people simply leave the rolls installed for wheat figuring that they close up the spaces well enough. When it comes down to it they simply don't want to take the time because you would have to remove the roller kit to install the small wires. The old Ford industrial engine, well thats a story in itself. They run good once you get them started. They have an excess full handle in the cab connected by a cable to the injector pump. You definately need this. These old motors don't like to start even when its 95 degrees outside unless you use the ecess fuel button on the pump. I would personally look for a TR85 although you would have to pay more for it. As far as the other post about how much transmission and final drive trouble that person had I cannot believe they ran that combine as kindly as they say they did. The transmision is a Deere the same as was used in a 6600 combine and the finaldrives are left over Deeres from 105 combines.

40_shakes

Check unloading auger .There is a small gear drive at the base that is troublesome.Check for movement at rear of rotors .There is a bush where they connect to rotor drive box.Check also the chain couplers on rotors.Access thruogh grain bin.Check that concave H- frame is not warped or mal adjusted.Access through side covers.Use a piece of 3_8 steel as a feeler guage on corners of concave that is in closed position.

40_shakes

Check unloading auger .There is a small gear drive at the base that is troublesome.Check for movement at rear of rotors .There is a bush where they connect to rotor drive box.Check also the chain couplers on rotors.Access thruogh grain bin.Check that concave H- frame is not warped or mal adjusted.Access through side covers.Use a piece of 3_8 steel as a feeler guage on corners of concave that is in closed position.

brand

I honestly would not recommend this combine. We had one for 5 or 6 years that was very well cared for, and after 1800 hours it was nothing but trouble. Everything is lightly built. Shafts, pulleys and bearings wore so quickly that nothing stayed in line. It literally broke down every day. I would take a 5000 hour IH 1440 over a 2000 hour TR70 any day. You name it, it broke. Air conditioner, variable speed, belts, bearings, gearboxes (that unloading gearbox was horrible),sieves came apart, axle housings (about tipped it over),Ford motor overhauled at 1600 hours, Cat motor too much for machine, feeder house, clutch, separator clutch, and other things too numerous to mention. Get a 1440 IH if you want a cheap rotary, or get a Gleaner M2-l2 for a cheap conventional.

daffy

Thanks that could explain price. $4500 with 16' head 13' flex, 6rn and 4rw, field ready.

john_holland

I am not sure what you mean by "will", but it is very easy to make a high drive header run on a low drive feederhouse. If you are any good in the shop, find a conversion kit, and copy it, very easy, or you could buy the kit, very expensive, or you could have a welding shop build a copy kit for you, plenty expensive, we put a high drive pickup head on our low drive combine for oats, never any problems, probably cost less than a 100 bucks, we had the parts, and about 10 man hours to make it straight and strong. I think the kit from nh is several hundred or maybe a thousand, but don't quote me on that.