Combines JD WAKE UP

Ilnewholland

Don't be so hard on JD. He is a good guy and has some valid points. I have met him and we looked a CR combine over together and he sees it different than I do but thats okay. I'm sure there will be some problems with the CR but if New Holland can fix it fast and most of all stand behind or along side of these combines that will sell more of them than anything. They was very good in the past of supporting there combines but may not have been as good in recent years as they could of been. The Cat combines were only good because they had the backing of a strong company but now they look kind of week. If a farmer is spending $200,000+ on a combine it really needs a good dealer plus the help of the company. I'm sure if the CR proves itself JD in time will tell us that it's okay to own one. I will not buy one for a few years because I can't afford one plus I never buy just interduced new stuff till it proves itself to me. JD is a very good friend to me so we should listen to his concerens about the CR because he has had TR combines for a long time and may know what works and what don'tIJ Where he farms is much different than where I farm so what we want in a combine is different also. So lets not be to hard on him and maybe we can drag him into a CR demo somedayIJ Ilnh ps plus JD really makes this board worth reading sometimes.

scooter

The biggest complaint I have with the CR is the weight. That is a real concern. But then you need to look at how they beefed everything up. The rotor gear boxes must be twice as heavy. This combine has a real frame and can actually be pulled from the rear. The unloading system is more complicated, heavier and works great! I miss lighter weight of the TR, however I like whole package of the CR.

JD

Your reading comprehension looks to be on par with your knowledge of NH combines. Debate the facts, not the unknowns and I'll be glad to spar with you. But first, educate yourself of that which you speak cause your in way over your head here! Good luck Calvin! JD ps....I told you Ilnh, the CR would have more fans from other makes than previous NH owners

JD

Glad you are getting along with the CR, keep those reports coming! I take it you had a TRIJ Did you have trouble with a TR rotor gear boxIJ Never been in one or had one off here, over 25 years of use. What I really wish they had of done was leave the 920_940 on a TR platform, the bigger machines the CR designIJ I think the 920_940 are overkill cause they are comapable to TR-99,98IJ Still wonder how the same motor totes 10,000 extra n's around in the mudIJ JD

2rotorsrule

I'm told by some company people the weight doesn't impact as much as you'd think cause its balanced out very well. It doesn't mean 10,000 pounds got added to the front axle alone. TO tell you the truth, we tested a 960, and will trade our TR 98 for either a 960 or 970. I'd like the 980 if they bring it to the US. Anyway, my point is it has a much more nimble feel thank our 480 lexion. Doesn't feel heavy at all!

Dustmaker

Here is what I just don't get JD. It seems you have never had a problem with anything on a TR. Over the past twenty years, there has been as many has 8 TR within a ten mile radius of where I live. You talk about never breaking a rotor belt. All of the machines I know of break them regularly, sometimes more than one a season. GearboxesIJ Have seen more than my share of them crap out as well, but only one on any of the machines I have used. Shafts, there are more TR main shafts used as round bale forks around here than anything I can think of. Do you actually use these machines, and if you do, you obviously don't know what tough harvesting conditions are, or a narrow harvest window that requires maximum performance out of a combine. Maybe you need to take a tour north and see what kind of demands are really required from a combine,and what it takes to get a crop off in a short time.

JD

There's only 4 points of contact to carry the weight period. Doesn't matter if it's balanced out perfectly(well not so much that is),the same motor has to move itIJ How it feels is really not relative from a hp to resistance ratioIJ Thanks though! JD

JD

Ask some of the other long term TR owners the same question from a row crop areaIJ My answers will match theirs moreso than yours! Breaking of rotor belts are_where caused mainly by running slugs repeatedly into the machine, it's the number one culprit! Ask anyone who has experience with a TR. Rotor gearboxes fall prey to the same disease as the belts. They are not intended to take the load on pulses, but on a steady flow of material. I assume, your shafts where breaking again from the surging of material from slugs. That and the fact that many probably over tightened the belts on these shafts trying to overcome the slugs from "plugging up" the rotors. Slugs are hell a machine and need to be eliminated if at all possible. If you still have slugs going into a CR, you can expect to relive the same experiences you had with the TR as they are not designes to have the crop fed into them in slugs! This diagnosis is based solely on what you just said in the reply above only. JD

JD

Thanks IlNH! But don't waste your time defending my opinions on here. let them have their fun, everyone needs a release of some kind and not everyone can debate a subject without turning it into a personal attack. Such is lifeIJ JD

Ilnewholland

Your welcome JD. I think your right that the CR920_940 may be a little to heavyIJ With the rain you get out there I'm not sure what kind of combine will floatIJ And maybe the self level cleaning system is not for everyone, I see your point because if you have all flat land like you do why pay $10,000 more for something you get no use out ofIJ Someday I hope to have a CR because for me I think I see things I like on them. Will it make my farm more money, I do not know at this time. I'm glad you see this as fun and take care. Ilnh