Combines JD WAKE UP

2rotorsrule

OUt here we no till, so weight does have an impact as far as compaction, but we typically don't worry about soft fields, only in irrigated corn. With a 12 row on front of that 480, it is plenty heavy also. Granted I've never had a CR in corn with a 12 row. I guess when they beef things up its bound to add weight. Our point of view is the heavier it weights, the heavier the components. We're actually glad their heavier. For example. On the idler pulley back on our TR98 chopper, its built too light. THe pulley doesn't stay true when running, and you can see the pulley lean to one side. As far as the above comments about rotor belts. Honestly we've NEVER broken one. THis year we finally replaced one before the season as a preventative maintenance thing, but even under some slugs we've never broken one. You have to be steady when running a combine, I think thats why guys have so many problems with everything. THey push them too hard. NO matter who makes it, you keep a steady flow comming in and you will be fine.

JD

Same here 2R's. No-till and wet harvests from years past tell me no more weight than I have alreadyIJ That's why I don't like Bin Extensions either. Great comment on the "steady flow", means more to a combines performance than many realize. JD

2rotorsrule

thanks JD I do agree with many of your comments. One thing though, all of the new combines have so much electronics for "mice" to chew on, it'd make a mess for any machine. The worse is still probably the CAT lexion. I think after a couple of years of having CR's out will tell a lot. IT will overall help New Holland than if they stayed with the TR's. Also, the gearbox issue is about like breaking belts. WE check our oils, run your combines "full" but not extreme. Parts last much longer no matter which one it is. I also like the Self leveling Cleaning shoe. Even if you're on level ground, they finally did away with those dividers on the grain pan. Stratifying the grain and chaff gives the CR's a big advantage over Case and John Deere in my opinion. my 2 cents

calvin

Fact 1. Calvin is an instigator. Fact 2. I have some experience operating a CR Fact 3. I will admit I do not know much about the old model New Hollands. Fact 4. They appealed only to cetain areas where there was a good dealer. There sure isn't many on the wheat run. Fact 5. I know I will never ever own an old model New Holland. Fact 6. New Holland had less than 5 percent market share in USA and it was going downhill. Assumption 1. At least now they have a chance. Educate me. Give me some perspective so I do not get it all wrong. Please. What state are you from. What crops do you combine and how many acres of each. What model combines do you run and what size heads. P.S. Don't take this to serious. Just trying to have some fun and learn something

Dustmaker

JD, You are right, slugs are the biggest problem for all of the above mentioned problems. And further, I am sure you are glad that you don't have to deal with this problem in your harvesting situation. However, that being said, there are thousands of us farming millions of acres where harvesting in tough undesirable conditions (including slugs) can be an annual reality. Be it because of rain, and_or snow some years, we have to swath many of the acres that are harvested, and extreme tough conditions, (including slugs) are a daily problem. It seems that NH did not recognize this in the initial introduction of the TR70, since they have been beefing up every subsequent model, right on up to the TR99. When the TR70 was first introduced in our area, it was the weakest combine in the field under tough threshing conditions. The TR98 and TR99 have vastly improved over that intial introduction. Now with the introduction of the CR series, I would say they have taken a giant leap to finally build a machine that will work in all harvesting conditions, and subsequently may have a shot at gaining some significant market share because of it. While a lighter build machine like the TR series may perform well under ideal harvesting conditions (which I assume you usually have),and may be preferred under those conditions, a heavier built machine will stay in the field longer when the going gets tough. And I will admit that there will still be problems when tough conditions are encountered, its just those problems will be diminished with a heavier built unit, and that is where the CR series will show improvement over the TR's. In areas like here, where tough harvesting conditions are frequently encountered, the CR has a decent shot at gaining market share.